Pulling Trailers or RV's

Help Support CattleToday:

Yup, totally agree. I don't care how "expensive, high end, $$$$" of a unit, they're all built pretty much the same way... good enough to "look pretty going out the door", and from there you're on your own! I've owned two, still own one nice 5th wheel. They're all junk... but I still like vacationing with it. :)
Decided that I am not going to pull RV's.
I think these horse and cattle trailers are more my style. But a $75,000 horse trailer should be built pretty well.

I know a couple of guys that have done it. One pulled horse trailers and the other pulled campers. If your using the company truck and getting paid hourly for the drive time it doesn't sound to bad. I would make sure they will pay for hotels, if needed, and any detention time if your sitting there waiting. On the positive side If your only looking for a couple trips a month it might be a nice get away.
They have offered to pay per mile plus all expenses. I do plan on asking about non driving time in case of a break down or bad weather. But only get paid for loaded mile otherwise. What do you think a pay-per-mile is worth. I'm meeting with them tomorrow but have already agreed to try a 6 hour trip on Thursday to Culpepper VA to try it out.

What did they offer? I am assuming loaded is only one way or do they find you a back haul? I would think that if you are only getting paid one way it would be @ $.75 if they are paying expenses and you are using their truck. That should be a pretty trip and some good driving to get you started.

What did they offer? I am assuming loaded is only one way or do they find you a back haul? I would think that if you are only getting paid one way it would be @ $.75 if they are paying expenses and you are using their truck. That should be a pretty trip and some good driving to get you started.
Not offered that much. I would retire for that. If they don't get me a backhaul its just me driving a pickup so pretty easy anyway.

That's gonna end up being a 14 hr. day said and done for less than $300 if my math is close. Driving isn't hard but it is still working. Not terrible per hour just driving I guess. $15-20 an hour is a lot when you got to pay it or seems like a lot when your thinking about it but sure isn't a lot when you go to spending it.

That's gonna end up being a 14 hr. day said and done for less than $300 if my math is close. Driving isn't hard but it is still working. Not terrible per hour just driving I guess. $15-20 an hour is a lot when you got to pay it or seems like a lot when your thinking about it but sure isn't a lot when you go to spending it.
Will you hire me? Lol

Online it says payment is. 27 to .40 per loaded miles. A truck driver will probably average 600 miles a day so on the high end it would pay $240. Your saying $300 for a little over half the miles. But difference is I may be empty coming back so it will pay nothing but expenses

They have offered to pay per mile plus all expenses. I do plan on asking about non driving time in case of a break down or bad weather. But only get paid for loaded mile otherwise. What do you think a pay-per-mile is worth. I'm meeting with them tomorrow but have already agreed to try a 6 hour trip on Thursday to Culpepper VA to try it out.
If you're by Afton Thursday, feel free to stop by for a look-around. We've got some extra mud in case you're running short.

I will be by Afton on I-64 sometime Thursday for sure. Hope there is not fog on the mountain. I will definitely stop something soon. If I like it looks like I might make that trip often. Even more if you would buy a new horse trailer. Lol

Online it says payment is. 27 to .40 per loaded miles. A truck driver will probably average 600 miles a day so on the high end it would pay $240. Your saying $300 for a little over half the miles. But difference is I may be empty coming back so it will pay nothing but expenses
You May have to do what I did after retirement (except I had to go back to work). Ask myself what is my skill set is, and how much true physical labor can I do. Made for a pretty narrow list of job opportunities. Personally, as a retired person, id pull trailers.

You May have to do what I did after retirement (except I had to go back to work). Ask myself what is my skill set is, and how much true physical labor can I do. Made for a pretty narrow list of job opportunities. Personally, as a retired person, id pull trailers.
Exactly what I'm thinking. As I have said before I have been a wildland firefighter for 47 years. 1 neck, 2 knee, 1 hand, 3 colon, 1 hernia operations and a major heart attack. I still have to pass a fitness test every year but it sure is harder. I can and do teach some firefighter classes and will probably still do that even if I retire. But I'm not 21 anymore.

Last edited:
Kenny that would be a great opportunity for you. I have ridden several times with Kenny and he is an excellent driver. A lot better than I. Some people you can just tell if they enjoy driving and Kenny is one that likes it. Kiefer makes very nice trailers as several around here have them.

keifers traler.jpg

kiefer trailer 2.jpg

Here are a lot more to look at...........

Last edited:
Heck yeah I will hire you the education I get would be worth it!

It would be an alright gig if your retired, better than a greeter at Wal -Mart. Something I have considered myself as I enjoy driving a lot. The only getting paid one way will be the killer. The routes you get will have a lot to do with it too. The one your looking at has a lot of interstate and pretty country. You will make miles and enjoy doing it. Traffic is usually not bad thru there either. Not all of them work out that way. At those numbers on a good day you may make about $12 an hour but probably most trips closer to $10 or less.

Not at all trying to rain on your parade just weighing out the good and the bad, partly out of my own curiosity about that type of job. I imagine I am not telling you anything you haven't already figured out yourself. I hope it works out great for you and hope you get up in this area often. I missed you last time you were up and I would still like to show you around and visit sometime.

I will be by Afton on I-64 sometime Thursday for sure. Hope there is not fog on the mountain. I will definitely stop something soon. If I like it looks like I might make that trip often. Even more if you would buy a new horse trailer. Lol
You can see my house from the overlook at the top of the mountain. If you don't have time to swing by the house, stop at the overlook and give me a call. I'll step out on the back porch and wave, or possibly moon you - depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

You can see my house from the overlook at the top of the mountain. If you don't have time to swing by the house, stop at the overlook and give me a call. I'll step out on the back porch and wave, or possibly moon you - depending on what kind of mood I'm in.
Oh I see, one of the 10 million dollar mansions i see from there?

His maybe close Thomas Jefferson's house. That is a pretty area around there. I visited TJ's house a few years ago. They said TJ was a tall guy, but that bed he slept in was maybe 5 feet long.

Last edited:
Well I'm leaving here about 6am so you guys watch for me on I-81. Says its 6 hours 3 minutes to the dealer so I figure 7 hours. The company say they will cover everything except speeding tickets so not in a big rush

Latest posts