Pulling Trailers or RV's

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I have been considering retirement and have a possible opportunity to pull either new horse and cattle trailers or possibly RV's . Each would be from the factory to dealership. Using the company truck. Anyone doing this? Just looking for maybe a couple trips a month to pay my insurance. Good, bad?

I regularly see pick ups with Indiana plates pulling new trailers headed west on the freeway here. I assume they come from a plant in Indiana and are headed to dealers on the Oregon or Washington coast.

That sounds like that would be a pretty good deal if you didn't have to pull them through really heavy traffic.

I driving a car through 4 lane traffic let alone pulling horse trailers through it.

Just yesterday on my way to work on interstate 540 a truck driver had someone cut him off causing the driver of a semi loaded with gas to have to swerve and wreck killing the driver.

The other driver that caused the wreck fled the accident but was caught on a cell phone video and was tracked down at his house and arrested.

This happened in light traffic.

That sounds like that would be a pretty good deal if you didn't have to pull them through really heavy traffic.

I driving a car through 4 lane traffic let alone pulling horse trailers through it.

Just yesterday on my way to work on interstate 540 a truck driver had someone cut him off causing the driver of a semi loaded with gas to have to swerve and wreck killing the driver.

The other driver that caused the wreck fled the accident but was caught on a cell phone video and was tracked down at his house and arrested.

This happened in light traffic.
It doesn't have to be heavy traffic. About a month ago I was coming home from the sale at about 1:00 in the morning. A trailer full of bred cows. I am weighing right about 20,000 pounds. Middle of the night there is nobody on the freeway. I mean it is literally a mile or more to the next vehicle in front of me and the same to the rear. Several miles to the next exit. A car catches up to me and passes. Then cuts me off not more than 20 feet off my front bumper. Why? What is the hurry to get into the right lane?

It doesn't have to be heavy traffic. About a month ago I was coming home from the sale at about 1:00 in the morning. A trailer full of bred cows. I am weighing right about 20,000 pounds. Middle of the night there is nobody on the freeway. I mean it is literally a mile or more to the next vehicle in front of me and the same to the rear. Several miles to the next exit. A car catches up to me and passes. Then cuts me off not more than 20 feet off my front bumper. Why? What is the hurry to get into the right lane?
Idiots abound. November 3rd proved that.

I know a couple of guys that have done it. One pulled horse trailers and the other pulled campers. If your using the company truck and getting paid hourly for the drive time it doesn't sound to bad. I would make sure they will pay for hotels, if needed, and any detention time if your sitting there waiting. On the positive side If your only looking for a couple trips a month it might be a nice get away.

With the company truck, it'd not be too bad, long as they pay for all your expenses like uplandnut suggested. If it was me, I'd prefer to pull the stock trailers.... alot lighter (they'd be empty), and pull like a dream. I assume they'll be putting you in a pickup... I pull a 34' fifth wheel camper with a Duramax dually, and it's alot more weight than an empty stock trailer, and alot higher up in the air... way more "difficult pulling". Just alot nicer drive when you have plenty of excess power, and not alot of wind resistance. Just my 2c worth. I've thought of doing this myself for extra cash in "down times".

I think I would be more comfortable pulling the cattle and horse trailers. Been pulling them since I bought my first one almost 40 years ago. I think I will go talk to the owner of the factory and see if I can try a few trips while I'm still working.

Stock trailers would be a lot nilcer to pull. But there are a whole lot more RV's being made and sold. Thus a lot more opportunity to deliver RV's.

I've talked to a few guys that were delivering campers, just to get an idea of what they're getting paid... didn't look all that appealing, nor did it seem terribly lucrative ($$). The ones I talked to were driving their own rig and sleeping in their pickup too (not very comfortable, IMO). That probably gives you some kind of an idea of how good it might have been paying, and of course, you're not allowed to "use" the new camper. I think that most guys with a PU figure they can drive it for alot less than what the actual overall cost is, when you include your time, the depreciation and insurance, all maintenance costs, etc. I figure $2/loaded mile when I haul for people, and I'm sure not getting rich on that.

Be careful, especially anytime you're providing the truck/trailer, is all I'm saying. You don't want to be, and can't afford to be subsidizing the trip!

Last edited:
I think I would be more comfortable pulling the cattle and horse trailers. Been pulling them since I bought my first one almost 40 years ago. I think I will go talk to the owner of the factory and see if I can try a few trips while I'm still working.
Adams?

Those are nice trailers and they pull good. I think it would be a fun gig if you like to drive and see the sights, especially if they supply the truck.

I didn't know Kiefer were built in TN, had to look them up. They make some nice trailers.

If you decide to pull campers, be sure to stop and pick up all the parts that fall off the new ones every 100 miles or so. They are all built like total crap. $.02
Yup, totally agree. I don't care how "expensive, high end, $$$$" of a unit, they're all built pretty much the same way... good enough to "look pretty going out the door", and from there you're on your own! I've owned two, still own one nice 5th wheel. They're all junk... but I still like vacationing with it. :)

Latest posts