Pulling Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt":339opkd4 said:
Loosing a few dollars will make you up your game.

Yeah it will, and pulling a calf out of an exhausted heifer will make you pay a little closer attention next time around, but no two situations are exactly alike, so both are part of learning and refining one's skill and experience.

AngusLimoX":3v1et2mf said:
Tiger":3v1et2mf said:
Bez>":3v1et2mf said:
Tiger":3v1et2mf said:
When does everyone start assisting a cow. Personally I like to start quick. If I ever see a calf going back in that is usually a key to action, especially if you see a nose and then none.

Far too early in my mind - cows have been doing this for many years longer than you and I have been in existence.
We are pretty much 100% unassisted here with calves that are in the 80 - 100 pound range and the odd one going a bit more.

Bez>

True and they have been dying in labor and having dead ones for even longer. I am talking about a small herd of around 50 cows and we cant afford to lose any.

Bez I think, before your smart axxed reply was trying to relay more of an attitude rather than a minutes and seconds response to YOUR QUESTION.

Now if you are running 50 cows, and still haven't figured out when or if to pull,unless the cows were just recently given to you, then I suspect you are playing games with us.

I have seen hooves for as much as 4 hours and delivered live calves, and I have moved in in as little as 20 mins. And I am a tiny 30 head operation compared to your 50.

Maybe you should give us an education?

Can't afford to lose any? Get out of cattle.

ALX, I think you need to re-read Bez's post. He wasn't the one who wrote "True and they have been dying in labor and having dead ones for even longer. I am talking about a small herd of around 50 cows and we cant afford to lose any."

milkmaid":1w2ss3m5 said:
ALX, I think you need to re-read Bez's post. He wasn't the one who wrote "True and they have been dying in labor and having dead ones for even longer. I am talking about a small herd of around 50 cows and we cant afford to lose any."

I went back and edited MM. Thanks for pointing it out.

One of those,"Well I knew what I was saying" things.
:lol:
ALX

With me it is progress and the individual animal...I personally do not like the birth to take more than an hour...hard on the cow and calf and don't need to chance a seperated unbilical. Every birth is different a seasoned cow that doesn't spit one out in minutes gets checked, first calf heifer that isn't making noticable progress every couple of pushes gets assisted...but then I like to stick my hands in cows and can't seem to let nature take it's course...only pulled one this year and only have two to go.
Just my two bits worth. Dmc

in answer to BuckemRanch, we have found that the harder the time to calve,
the longer the stress becasue of a big calf,
the bigger the calf,
the harder the pull...
the longer to return to cycle and we have usally found that most are our late calvers next year.
We like 70 to 80 # calves on cows and closer to 70 for heiffers. Live is better than dead or a costly C section.
In answer to Tiger how long to wait for us depends on the cow. I'm more eager to stick to the strick 1.5 hr for cows and 2 - 2.5 for heiffers and my husband is more wait a bit longer to see.
Today a heiffer went 4 hours but that included busting out of the calving corral and travelling in the bush through two gates and then straight into the mat. pen because she was so stressed. Healthy calf though.
The joys of calving

Our cows calve in the pasture, too. I check on them more frequently during the peak of the season keeping in mind which ones I think will be next. This was the first year we kept our heifers up in a pen at calving. Out of 6 heifers, we gave one a little assistance when she stopped making progress. a little pull with a nylon OB strap I picked up for about $3. My dad agreed that it beat baler twine all to pieces. ;-) One other heifer went about 2 hours after the first bag appeared and nothing showing. Called the vet (as I'm not experienced in checking these things out myself) went in for a quick bite of supper while the vet was on his way. By the time I got to the barn, she'd just taken care of things herself. I didn't regret calling the vet, though and would probably do the same thing with a heifer next time.
They're right.... God created this process and it's been going on a lot longer than modern medicine. Just like with people... sometimes you need to help a little to keep mom and baby healthy.

I believe in the information we get from research - less time in labor = sooner to rebreeding. BUT, not all cattle are the same. You have to watch for progress - that's the biggest key. And having the nose and/or feet dissappear is NORMAL - DUH!
Some just dink around and don't get right down to business. You have to also watch for STRESS - you can tell if the cow is under stress - something's wrong!
We helped two head this year - no progress - checked - 1 breech & 1 backwards.

Latest posts