Pulling calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Pulled my first one today. Heifer that should have had the calve. Vet said she had good pelvic area befor I bred her. Bred her to my bull. Got a 60 lb. calve. 2.5 hrs and feet three inches out. I went in and pulled it slow trying to go with her contractions. I think it was a good thing to step in. My point? First timers and cows, if you can help em. I think you will be money ahead. Cow and calve are A OK, sucking and licking. Pictures will come in a few days.

Scotty

Sometimes your gunna have some that just don't have the contractions strong enough, or the cow gets weak fast due to her condition and dosn't have it in her to finish.. :) I think 3 hrs of presentation in a heifer is enough time to consider helping her out. Good job Scotty, glad to see you get a live one down.

I had two dog choak chains. I think they work well and are cheaper than OB chains.

Scotty

you wouldnt think 60 lbs would require a pull. is she a small Angus?

No she was about 1000 lbs. That is what disapoints me. The Good year man has came by. I can't deside if I will buy tires or not.

Scotty

some cows an heifers will give up an wont have the calf no matter how big or small the calf.yes the heifer couldve had that calf.but she gave up an didnt intend to have it on her own.the rule of thumb is wait 3hrs on heifers if feet are showing.an 4hrs on cows.unless the cow or heifer is paralizing.then its pull the calf fast,an get the cow on her feet.scott

I'm not sure I would give up on her so soon. I had a heifer 2 years ago which I had to pull her calf , it was the only one I ever had to help, I kept her and bred her again and she had her second calf with no problems , I think I would give her another chance.

If the heifer has lots of milk and the calf grows good, I bet you'll forgive her. You didn't need a puller to get the calf born, just chains. My rule of thumb with heifers is if the feet are showing for an hour with no progress, I want to pull. The few I have pulled have all been in the same spot - toes showing, and just inside I can feel the calf's nose and up just past the eyes. Somewhere I heard that if the calf's head as far as the eyes is thru the cervix, it is not too big.

Congrats on your live calf! To me it would depend on her temperment. If she's a really nice cow give her a second chance. Sometimes heifers just don't know what they are supposed to do the first time. We had one that lay down and decided she was dying. We had to pull the calf. The next year she had no problems, she knew what was happening and was motivated. ;-) If she's a problem cow in general then yeah, she should probably go - just in case she's lazy instead of confused.

I helped one heifer this year. She tried for a few hours....I eased up behind her while she was lying down, took off my belt and made a loop through the buckle to put around it's feet. All she needed was a little bit of help.
Course she may have had it on her own.....but they seem to breed back quicker with less stress.

She was an 1150-1200 lb. heifer and the calf weighed 78.

I will probly give her another chance. Just burns my butt. Oh well, the calve is great and mom is fine. She is a well behaved cow. Had another today. Bull calve weighing 62 lbs. out ofthe same bull. One more heifer and I will be on to the cows.

Scotty

Latest posts