pulling a hard birth

Help Support CattleToday:

I've haven't had to use anything for years. But there was a time when we had one that had the water break and we missed her attempting to have the calf (it had a head turned backwards) we used surgical soap to clean up and turn the head around. When I can observe them calving I have never had to lubricate one to get it out. I can't think of anything that would be appropriate. You are dealing with a sterile field and any type of oil such as mineral oil is not sterile. Whatever you buy and open has to be used immediately because is becomes contaminated once opened. It is a problem I haven't had to deal with. When I put a uterus back in last February I put the cow on a 3-day regimen of Baytril and she is due to deliver any day.

I have never needed any, but my friend says his dairy man next door has a white powder that turns super slick when wet.. i have no idea what it is, but apparently it works really well

Yep, jlube. I bought one plastic bottle fifteen years ago and I've been mixing it with water and lubing my arm for fifteen years and I finally ran out two days ago. It would have lasted me my entire career if I hadn't used it two summers in a row to grease the kids slip and slide. :lol: A little bit goes a loooong way.

obstetric lube, can get a 5 litre container from the farm store.
Did use to get the same lube (nadalube) for AI and calvings but can't get that brand any more. Not sure if I've opened the 5 litre of calving lube yet, when you need it you really need it but most assisted calvings don't need it.
I've also used it to unstick a calf that tried the gap between a gate and a gate post, and on one occasion to pull out a cow that got herself likewise jammed between a steel post and wall. And to push clips onto rubber milk hose.

Dubcharo":3f7xgbes said:
http://www.jlube.net/

The advert is a bit tasteless.

"The preferred lube for fisting because of it's consistency, slipperiness, and easy clean up."

How to better enjoy a better male homosexual experience. LOL

Wife wife just shook her head when I showed her. My oh my, how the world has changed.

I'm sorry, I didn't check the rest of that advert, I google jlube and recognized the bottle then post it.

I also used to use J-lube.

It works wonders, but you have to use it sparingly and DO NOT touch anything else but the calf and the dam. If you start using your calf-puller (and you have J-Lube on your hands or gloves), you will have a tough time using it and cleaning it.

Latest posts