Pulling a Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

While visiting at a friend's ranch, I had the opportunity to help the vet pull a dead calf from a heifer. When he arrived, she was standing in the pen so he put a loop over her head and cinched her low to a post. While he was getting his meds and equipment ready he asked me to put another loop over her horns and secure her again so the rope around her neck would not choke her.

My question is: If she's polled, do you just go ahead and put it around her head and hope she doesn't choke or is there another method of securing her while the process is taking place.

Use a halter, but better still don't breed cattle that need birthing assistance.....although even the best of intentions....

A head gate works as well if there is a way to get the animal out if she goes down (a side gate)

Jason

glad you mentioned the side gate......lots of people don't think about that & try to put them in the chute to pull a calf. cow goes down & then you can't pull the calf or get the cow up.

> Sometimes cows whove calved fine for years may get a calf hung up and youve got to pull. Every now and then a calf must be pulled, and you must be prepared to do whatever to save that calf. I cant imagine trying to put halters on the cow, weve either roped to a post (and not one has choked to death) or put in a headcatch thats in the barn.

Use a halter, but better still
> don't breed cattle that need
> birthing assistance.....although
> even the best of intentions....

> A head gate works as well if there
> is a way to get the animal out if
> she goes down (a side gate)

> Jason

Our uses the halter and post method. If push ocomes to shove you can make an adequate temporary halter from just your rope.

dun

> Use a halter, but better still

[email protected]