Pulled in out of the pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We pulled our January heifer calf in for a week back in April to work on getting her halter broke. Dam stayed with herd, getting to be with calf during the night (did not want to wean). And we did shave the cow bald - she was full of sh!t balls. Then after our vacation in Texas, we pulled in the cow for a week to work with her and her calf to show. Here is our results:

Great looking cattle. I love how you are able to get the power in your heifers while still maintaining a feminine front 3rd.
That's tough to find.

Congratulations!!!

I assume none of you in the picture are very tall or that cow is a monster! Either way, very nice, love that udder.

I am a shorty - 5.2. She is huge width wise, not very tall.
Thanks for the nice remarks. Point I was trying to make is you don't need a feed bucket to show good cattle. This cow was shown as a calf and as a yearling. She is 3 years old with her 2nd calf. Pulled in after 6 months of good hay. NO GRAIN. Not everyone ruins their females showing them. We also won every class we entered, and took Gr Champion Simmental with a yearling.
Not a huge show, 165 head and we had competition in every class except our bull. Won Gr Ch Bull ... LOL ... but he was the only Simmental bull there.

Congratulations. A lot of folks try to feed on extra performance. Have been to some registered sales where the young animals bulls and heifers were fat as mud and manure told the story as well as once some looking like they had just had their hooves trimmed.

Great looking cattle. I love how you are able to get the power in your heifers while still maintaining a feminine front 3rd.
That's tough to find.

Congratulations!!!
@kentuckyguy that is a constant goal....one that can be tough. but, volume and females that LOOK LIKE A GIRL (along with structure first) have been our focus for nearly 50 years. Still can lose it using the wrong bull.

I am a shorty - 5.2. She is huge width wise, not very tall.
Thanks for the nice remarks. Point I was trying to make is you don't need a feed bucket to show good cattle. This cow was shown as a calf and as a yearling. She is 3 years old with her 2nd calf. Pulled in after 6 months of good hay. NO GRAIN. Not everyone ruins their females showing them. We also won every class we entered, and took Gr Champion Simmental with a yearling.
Not a huge show, 165 head and we had competition in every class except our bull. Won Gr Ch Bull ... LOL ... but he was the only Simmental bull there.
I didn't figure she was a monster, not knowing what your goals are and your track record. That's the type of cattle I strive for, bred to preform not fed to perform! What's her reg. #?

@BFE ASA # 3397469 - she is a W/C Executive Order daughter. She goes back to SS Nadine, a cow flushed in co-op with Hudson Pines Farm. She is just what we breed for. Big hipped, big bellied, great feet & legs and feminine fronted.

She's got great growth numbers and I don't mind the bw and ce numbers at all. A cow should be able to handle a decent sized calf. I'm a fan of 70-90 pounders myself. Big enough to eat a lot and grow but not too big to cause problems.

Sooo right. I believe a first calf heifer should be able to handle 70-90# calf, unassisted - and mine do. Like everyone else, half my calf crop is males. They are my "cash-flow", sold by October each year. Pounds = money. And if I want to get good $$ out of my breeding females, they need growth also. People don't pay for dinks.
I have really been focusing on more "spread" bulls - good CE with LOTS of growth. Too many "popular" bulls are pushing the window of being "moderate" and "easy calving". I do have to stay up to date on "popular" bulls - but I am being pickier than normal. I would like WW & YW more like 85 - 125 with at least a +10 CE. The Simmental has a lot of good spread bulls out there.
OMF Epic - CE 15 BW -1 with WW 95 and YW 152 - long as a freight train! black bull
KBHR Sniper CE 20 BW -2 WW79 YW 127 red bull

Latest posts