pulled dead calf on 15 month old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
we pulled the bull out when she was 6 months old but she still got breed.....now I have a dead calf and she's down with a weak rear end and can't stand.....this was a heifer that I was keeping and was gonna breed this summer....not cool....what's the earliest y'all have had one breed? I thought we were safe at that age but I guess I was wrong.

I've Got one now that is about 15 months old and has started bagging .Shes about 850 pounds I hope she makes it . This will be my youngest to calve. She was 7 months old when I pulled the bull . How old is the youngest you have seen a bull calf breed ?

The English are the first to start from my experience seen bull calfs breed heifers at 5 to 6 months the Brimmers are the ones that are slow to mature not usually till 12 to 18 months.

hooknline":2vq1bnaz said:
Heard of some at 4 months.

Exactly why after bull is pulled, every calf that there is even remote chance of being bred will get a shot of lutalyse. I dont want any surprises.

I had a neighbor with some beef cows that had alot of Jersey in them. Their calves often bred at 5 and 6 months old. I always wanted some char x jersey cows. Never had any, just thought it might make a good cow.

Can a 6 month old 450 lb heifer hold up a 1800 lb bull . Or is it safer to say most of them get bred by bull calves ?

Well i guess you live and learn but I must admit I never thought a 2000# bull could breed a 6 month old calf.......I hope she is able to stand.....I sure don't want to put herbal down.

JSCATTLE":q600nugy said:
Can a 6 month old 450 lb heifer hold up a 1800 lb bull . Or is it safer to say most of them get bred by bull calves ?
2 years ago. . . bought a bred cow and 7 mo. heifer in late Nov. Heifer was BANGS vaccinated just before I picked her up. Feb., I found an aborted bull calf at feeding time one morning. The heifer was the closest, but I didn't think much about that, because that dead calf was right by the gate where the heifer usually got an extra ration, away from the cows. Took a couple of days to sort it out, and talking with the seller, but it was the heifer that aborted (BANGS vacc.?). There were 6-7 mos. heifers out with the cows when the bull was turned in. So, watch those young girls, exposed to a bull. That aren't "too young."

Bigfoot":190d28cq said:
I had a neighbor with some beef cows that had alot of Jersey in them. Their calves often bred at 5 and 6 months old. I always wanted some char x jersey cows. Never had any, just thought it might make a good cow.

I hope you were planning on making them with a Jersey bull over a char...
Be a safe first calf for your heifers.

JSCATTLE":t6xlpo49 said:

There are no bull calves in the pasture. One or two missed getting banded right after birth but they are always steered at less than 2 months. And one going to 2 months is rare.

I never pull the bulls. They run with the herd year round. If I pull the bulls, calves will get bred by one of the visiting angus bulls that get in my pasture regularly. Hot wire and 6 stand 4 point barbed wire will not stop them. One jumped cattle guards.

I put the heifers in a different pasture after weaning but the angus bulls get in there with them and some get bred. (it has happened twice)

I have one that was born 10/15/2006. She calved unassisted:

3/14/2008 heifer (from neighbor's angus bull)
1/18/2009 heifer
12/15/2009 bull
11/7/2010 bull
10/3/2011 bull

backhoeboogie":xgslnghs said:
JSCATTLE":xgslnghs said:

There are no bull calves in the pasture. One or two missed getting banded right after birth but they are always steered at less than 2 months. And one going to 2 months is rare.

I never pull the bulls. They run with the herd year round. If I pull the bulls, calves will get bred by one of the visiting angus bulls that get in my pasture regularly. Hot wire and 6 stand 4 point barbed wire will not stop them. One jumped cattle guards.

I put the heifers in a different pasture after weaning but the angus bulls get in there with them and some get bred. (it has happened twice)

I have one that was born 10/15/2006. She calved unassisted:

3/14/2008 heifer (from neighbor's angus bull)
1/18/2009 heifer
12/15/2009 bull
11/7/2010 bull
10/3/2011 bull
I always figured it was one of the bill calves I missed . I'll have to be more carefull to remove the hiefers when I put the bull in with the cows . I breed for 2 months in the spring and 2 months in the fall . So the bulls are probably getting to my hiefers at 6 or 7 months old . This is my first to breed early. MOst of my cows are f1 brahman angus. This heifer is out of a Hereford bull . That Is probably why .

hooknline":2c9ociwz said:
Heard of some at 4 months.
I would start a protocol of lute at weaning time.
If you're gonna have a bull with them till they are six months old should make the lute a policy at the time the bull is pulled.

JSCATTLE":7lzfgn4n said:

Years ago had one calf at 13 months. Blamed it on a bull calf in the group. I think the 2000# + Simmental herd bull would have broke her.

fitz

Had one calve at 15 months about 6 or so years ago. Calved unassisted. Never looked pregnant. Small calf. I weaned it early, let the momma gain a bit and sold them both.

Katherine

Your calves wont be old enough to wean by the time their mothers should be rebred. If you're having the problem, the only solution other than AIing the cows is to give a $2 shot of Lutalyse to the heifer calves at weaning. For an additional dollar, you can add about 10ccs of dexamethasone to guarantee,well, that it gets the job done.

Lute will do it but wait two weeks after you pull him to give the shot. Otherwise anything he stuck right before you pulled him would still be pregnant as they don't have a corpus lutieum for the lute to work on for a while after they concieve.

Latest posts