Pulled a ripe, dead one today...

Help Support CattleToday:

JParrott

Reaction score
Decent cow - quite a bit of brahman in her but still a good cow on her 3rd calf. She had a vaginal prolapse about a week ago and we figured she'd calve in a day or so and we hoped to catch it in time to clean it up, put it back in, sew her up, and save them both. She didn't calve and didn't really show any signs of labor after the first day we watched her. After a day or so we brought her up, put her in the barn to have her close by, and waited for her to finally get it over with. Never happened. Two days ago the prolapse started to retract back into her body. Yesterday she wasn't feeling too good and got a whiff of something dead. Hoped she'd abort on her own but no such luck. Pulled it out this evening - both front legs came off one at a time pulling on each. Got lucky and the head and neck stayed attached to the body and it all came out. I was regretting eating the chinese buffet with the wife for lunch. Woof.

Hopefully the old cow will be ok. 50cc's of Penicillin and let nature do it's thing. If she makes it she'll go to the sale this year.

JParrott said:
Decent cow - quite a bit of brahman in her but still a good cow on her 3rd calf. She had a vaginal prolapse about a week ago and we figured she'd calve in a day or so and we hoped to catch it in time to clean it up, put it back in, sew her up, and save them both. She didn't calve and didn't really show any signs of labor after the first day we watched her. After a day or so we brought her up, put her in the barn to have her close by, and waited for her to finally get it over with. Never happened. Two days ago the prolapse started to retract back into her body. Yesterday she wasn't feeling too good and got a whiff of something dead. Hoped she'd abort on her own but no such luck. Pulled it out this evening - both front legs came off one at a time pulling on each. Got lucky and the head and neck stayed attached to the body and it all came out. I was regretting eating the chinese buffet with the wife for lunch. Woof.

Hopefully the old cow will be ok. 50cc's of Penicillin and let nature do it's thing. If she makes it she'll go to the sale this year.

So how was dinner?

That's awful. Similar story here. I actually thought the cow had aborted her calf already. I brought her in to look after her about 4 days ago. Next morning she had one hind foot sticking out. Got the other leg started out and pulled out a slightly stinky but very dead calf. She hasn't got up yet. Drinks very little, doesn't eat. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. I screwed this one up. My bad. I had watched her and never saw her strain. Which in hindsight is not unusual with a backwards calf when a hind foot is pushing up against the spine. You know what they say about hindsight :roll:

I hate you lost one

I do have to agree that's one of the worst smells I have ever came across

I've avoided this scenario thus far. Hope my luck continues. Like True Grit, I also deposit some boluses or some yellow powder (can't remember what it is) that the vet gave me any time I have to clean one out or anything else, which thankfully hasn't happened to me in years. Hope your luck gets better. Sometimes things just happen.

Had a neighbor who had a cow with a vaginal prolapse before calving. We sewed he up, and he penned her right behind his house. Watched her hourly, day and night, for 2 weeks. She went into labor, he cut the stitches, she calved, and then he sewed her back up. Both were fine, and both took a ride at weaning. But that's a lot of dedication to watch one that close. Not for me.

Silver said:
That's awful. Similar story here. I actually thought the cow had aborted her calf already. I brought her in to look after her about 4 days ago. Next morning she had one hind foot sticking out. Got the other leg started out and pulled out a slightly stinky but very dead calf. She hasn't got up yet. Drinks very little, doesn't eat. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. I screwed this one up. My bad. I had watched her and never saw her strain. Which in hindsight is not unusual with a backwards calf when a hind foot is pushing up against the spine. You know what they say about hindsight :roll:

We had one like that, wasn't breach but she never showed any signs and was watching her like a hawk. A.I. so i new the date, at 291 days she just walking around the paddock eating like it was just another day, then a foot popped out, pulled out a dead calf, wasn't too bad smelling but been dead a while.

kenny thomas said:
Vasoline in the nasal passages helps. But it finally gets bad enough that you can even taste it.

Kenny, I used Vicks salve in the nose when working around stinking bodies. Had a few that the Vicks wasn't powerful enough.

I had a large cow, about 1,300-1,400 lbs, that couldn't calve, pushed for about 3 days. I drove her up, called the vet and expected him to come out and do a C-section. Because it was July, he said that wasn't an option unless I had a barn I could cool off, which I don't. So, he said to just give her a normal dose of LA-200, or equivalent, every three days until she delivers what ever was left. Stated she was large enough to absorb the calf, but probably should sell her if she never discharged anything. That was a smell I will never forget. I got her up for a shot about 3 times, and each time she just gassed off that horrible smell. She actually never got ill and discharged a hide and pile of bones about a week later. She was my daughters cow, only one with a name as I explained to the vet, so I kept her around to see what would happen. She has calved 4x since then and had no issues. I always hear these vet shows talking about if the calf cannot be born, the cow will die. I have May-Bell as proof that isn't always the case.

I also watched a vet stick his arm up a cow with a knife in his palm and remove a calf, piece by piece. That was not something I don't care to watch again, even though the cow survived.

So how was dinner?

I ate light and I had chicken and a shot of :drink:

If I ever go into a cow vaginally I put a hand full of boulous and some iodine back in the uterus. That sounds like a stinking mess.

It was indeed. I had to throw away a set of good gloves and I'm still on the fence about my jacket. It's going to get a strong cleaning.

You know what they say about hindsight :roll:

I do - best vision I've ever had.

I do have to agree that's one of the worst smells I have ever came across

It stuck around all night in my nose and mouth. I could get rid of it for a while but I'd catch a drift again every so often and it came flooding back.

Had a neighbor who had a cow with a vaginal prolapse before calving. We sewed he up, and he penned her right behind his house. Watched her hourly, day and night, for 2 weeks. She went into labor, he cut the stitches, she calved, and then he sewed her back up. Both were fine, and both took a ride at weaning. But that's a lot of dedication to watch one that close. Not for me.

We (Dad and I) debated this route but decided that neither of us was willing to put that kind of dedication in either. I would've if he'd have asked but he's not as attached to them like he was thirty - forty years ago.

Vasoline in the nasal passages helps. But it finally gets bad enough that you can even taste it.

I did. This was thick enough I chewed on it and had a meal by the time we were done.

I had a large cow, about 1,300-1,400 lbs, that couldn't calve, pushed for about 3 days. I drove her up, called the vet and expected him to come out and do a C-section. Because it was July, he said that wasn't an option unless I had a barn I could cool off, which I don't. So, he said to just give her a normal dose of LA-200, or equivalent, every three days until she delivers what ever was left. Stated she was large enough to absorb the calf, but probably should sell her if she never discharged anything. That was a smell I will never forget. I got her up for a shot about 3 times, and each time she just gassed off that horrible smell. She actually never got ill and discharged a hide and pile of bones about a week later. She was my daughters cow, only one with a name as I explained to the vet, so I kept her around to see what would happen. She has calved 4x since then and had no issues. I always hear these vet shows talking about if the calf cannot be born, the cow will die. I have May-Bell as proof that isn't always the case.

This old girl gassed off a few times while we were pulling - it was wonderful. There's usually an exception to every rule. We're not going to keep this one around after this year to find out. She can go be Wendy's chili this fall.

"She can go be Wendy's chili this fall."
That might actually improve the chili....pretty awful stuff to be calling chili.

slick4591 said:
kenny thomas said:

Kenny, I used Vicks salve in the nose when working around stinking bodies. Had a few that the Vicks wasn't powerful enough.

We do the same thing in healthcare at times slick. It works well!

I had one a few years ago with a backwards calf. She never showed any signs of trying to calve other than bagged up. One morning I called them up to look them over, she walked by me and the smell was horrible. Called the vet and he came out. Both of us were choking. So bad made your eyes water. The calf was so far gone it tore apart pulling on the back legs. Pulled it out peice by peice. Vet said it was the worst he has ever done. Your Vick's trick would have been awful handy

Latest posts