Puking steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a steer that yesterday morning started to regurgitate only clear liquid and does so at a rate of the regular rumen contraction. The left side of the steer was slightly distended but I was hearing gas come out. This morning the left side is normal but he expels everything that goes in his mouth within a minute. Hes 850lb on good pasture. Thursday he was fed 5 gallons of green red delicious apples.? anyone have any ideas whether to put him down today or just wait a couple days and see if starts keeping down water. Thanks Jody

[email protected]

I called the vet yesterday and he wants to clean out his rumen ($250). At 900lb he's ready to butcher but I didn't start to grain him yet, and I'd like him alittle heavier if I can get him through this.

My daughter fed him the apples trying to help dad out.

[email protected]

FYI on the steer,

He's alive, I kept him walking saturday night and all day sunday until sunday late when he finally could drink 10 gallons water and keep it down. I started slowly feeding him sunday even later and by monday he was wanting on pasture again. let him out for a few hours and then back on dryed grass but on tuesday put hinm out full time. WHAT A STRESSER.

thanks Jody

[email protected]

Glad to see that your steer is doing better! I know how stressful it can be...

kathryn

> FYI on the steer,

> He's alive, I kept him walking
> saturday night and all day sunday
> until sunday late when he finally
> could drink 10 gallons water and
> keep it down. I started slowly
> feeding him sunday even later and
> by monday he was wanting on
> pasture again. let him out for a
> few hours and then back on dryed
> grass but on tuesday put hinm out