Public School used to be so simple.

Help Support CattleToday:

I know people that blamed the teacher and school because their kid couldn't read!! Both my kids could read before they went to school, it's my responsibility!!

Some people will always blame somebody or something for their problems. It's never their own responsibility.

I know people that blamed the teacher and school because their kid couldn't read!! Both my kids could read before they went to school, it's my responsibility!!
Mine could read before starting school too. A bad teacher here and there didn't cripple them for life either. It does seem like schools in my area are a one stop care-shop for everything these days. When I was a student, teachers taught academics and social skills by example, and parents played a big role in the child at home. These days, schools have to be a source of teachers, therapists(mental, physical, etc), social workers, food pantries in addition to breakfast and lunch, clothing stores, nurseries, Christmas gift providers at their homes, medical practitioners, you name it. If the parent wants anything, all they have then do is call the school and we have to jump to attention with services. I love it when parents send their kids to school sick thinking we will just let the nurse handle it and they have no responsibility.

Last edited:
Mine could read before starting school too. A bad teacher here and there didn't cripple them for life either. It does seem like schools in my area are a one stop care-shop for everything these days. When I was a student, teachers taught academics and social skills by example, and parents played a big role in the child at home. These days, schools have to be a source of teachers, therapists(mental, physical, etc), social workers, food pantries in addition to breakfast and lunch, clothing stores, nurseries, Christmas gift providers at their homes, medical practitioners, you name it. If the parent wants anything, all they have then do is call the school and we have to jump to attention with services. I love it when parents send their kids to school sick thinking we will just let the nurse handle it and they have no responsibility.
And teachers need to stay out of political discussions and not spread their beliefs. Vegan teacher trying shame my son for raising and harvesting our animals . ****, that's why my daughter is a highly recruited surgical tech, she's experienced in real life !

Love my Boo Boo!!

I was at the register in a local food store and handed the young lady a 100 dollar bill. After checking her register she called the head cashier over and told her she couldn't make change for me. The head cashier opened the next register and took 5-20's from the drawer handing them to the young girl. She instructed her to give her a hundred in exchange and the girl refused. She said "If I do that my register won't balance at the end of my shift". The head cashier had her punch off the register and she logged on and gave me my change while shaking her head the whole time. I guess the girl was given a lesson in making change or sent home. What's this world coming to. We learned all that on flash cards, but then the parents helped.

Sad to say it's not just counting money, they lack critical thinking ability.

At local Oreilly Auto Parts story I ask for a Wix oil filter for a '17 toyota avalon. Young gal (18-23 probably) working there after a bit says they don't make one for that. A guy working nearby overhears the conversation and comes over and says yes they do. He looks at her register screen and says you have 1917 in there, and walk back to where he was. She says what year is your car? I say 17, she repeats there is no such thing, and ask again.

Finally got the thing and got out of there, but I'm not sure that girl can find her way home!

I'll say one thing for the checker at my local store. She's working and that counts for alot in my book.
I dang sure wouldn't pocket money that's not mine on someone's math error either
I agree.

I was looking for some one to help feed my bottle calf in the evening and do some odds and ends. Got a senior that lived not too far recommended to me.

We met Monday and it all went pretty good. Offerend him $12/hr.

So I gave him one task other than feeding the calf in the evening which was to patch some holes in the fence the hogs had made and put some panels across a couple gates. I specifically asked if he could knock it out this week because I wanted to plant some grass this weekend.

As of Thursday night it had not been done. Friday I contacted him and he apologized and said he got busy with graduation things but assured me he would get on it first thing this weekend.

One of the things I emphasized was communicating with me if he got hung up or couldn't make it to feed that it wasnt problem I would do it.

As of last night none of the fence work was done. I'm about to start planting here shortly.

Now I'm struggling with if I should just cut him loose and be done or try to work with him and maybe he can learn from it. I remember graduation time and how hectic it was. My gut says cut bait but I'm trying not to let past negative experiences influence this situation.

As kind of a sad side note he told me how he thinking about going in to the oilfield and maybe trying to be a gauger but was debating the best way to go about it. I could most likely have him an entry level job straight out of school. I've brought up from no experience making six figures right now... and he is blowing that opportunity as we speak with out even knowing it.

Latest posts