Public School used to be so simple.

Help Support CattleToday:

When is the last time you purchased something with cash and the change was counted out to you?
I had a ridiculous amount of pennies in my truck, so the next time I went to the McDonald's drive through for a $1.87 iced coffee, I gave the cashier a 20 plus 12 pennies. It was almost as if she couldn't even figure out how to enter the amount on the register; notwithstanding the fact the register would calculate & tell her the correct change, which was eventually dumped in my hand with barely a thank you.;)

I had a ridiculous amount of pennies in my truck, so the next time I went to the McDonald's drive through for a $1.87 iced coffee, I gave the cashier a 20 plus 12 pennies. It was almost as if she couldn't even figure out how to enter the amount on the register; notwithstanding the fact the register would calculate & tell her the correct change, which was eventually dumped in my hand with barely a thank you.;)
I bought an item at my local Casey's store that cost $2.20. I only had a $5 bill and some change, so I gave the young gal the $5 and a quarter so I didn't end up with a pocket full of change. She also looked completely lost, typed whatever in on the cash register and gave me back $7.45. told her that can't be right. she said yes it is, so I put it in my pocket with a smile on my face and wondered how her math classes were going in school.

I bought an item at my local Casey's store that cost $2.20. I only had a $5 bill and some change, so I gave the young gal the $5 and a quarter so I didn't end up with a pocket full of change. She also looked completely lost, typed whatever in on the cash register and gave me back $7.45. told her that can't be right. she said yes it is, so I put it in my pocket with a smile on my face and wondered how her math classes were going in school.
🤬:unsure::unsure: And these are the next generation that will be "balancing the budgets????" REALLY SAD... but that is what the whole, use a card generation, has gotten to.

Part of the problem that is also hurting the public school system is they are forced to provide education to every child. Weekly our school in our little south Texas town is receiving and influx of kids from California, NY, or south of the border.

We were already under a strain with limited, poorly managed resources and this influx of people fleeing places that cant take care of their own business is not helping.

I will add... the amount of kids with disabilities due to parents on drugs is not helping either. We are looking at double to triple the number from just a short time ago when I was in school in our small town. Graduating classes are around 80 or so.

Last edited:
Sounds like a set-up for an episode of "What Would You Do?" You're lucky that John Quinones didn't chase you down in the parking lot asking why you didn't try harder to correct the mistake.

Sounds like a set-up for an episode of "What Would You Do?" You're lucky that John Quinones didn't chase you down in the parking lot asking why you didn't try harder to correct the mistake.
the gal behind the counter looked so happy as she told me she was right as she pointed to the amount showing on the register; I didn't have the heart to hurt her feelings.

What do you mean by "selected to be quarantined?"
Well last week we were called by the school office and told that it was her turn to be quarantined. This is the second time she was selected to spend a week at home. We were told it's the only way to be fair to keep under the 60% attendance in class.

Well last week we were called by the school office and told that it was her turn to be quarantined. This is the second time she was selected to spend a week at home. We were told it's the only way to be fair to keep under the 60% attendance in class.
Might be why Tn. schools are ranked number 36 in the nation. With critical analysis like that speaks volumes.

I spend $121. Something at Walmart. I gave guy $122.some change. He gave me a $100 bill back $1. And some change. I told him no sir this is incorrect. Not only did I give him a $100 bill he got a different $100 to gave back to me. 🤨🤔 He kept telling me no it was right. I tried to be very nice explain no sir I can't spend $121. Whatever give you $122. Some change grt back $100. I couldn't get him to understand it. 🤦🏽‍♀️ I believe in God no freaking way I was taking that $100. Devil trying to get me in a mess. 🙌🏾 No thank you. GOD it's for you!!

Where we are kids have to go to public school in their district. Can't cross counties lines to go to another school. Our county has one public school. Many people use addresses in other counties so their kids can attend another public school in another district. Just like anything else people always blend the rules. Why does it even matter which public school your child attends. If the parents or whoever wants to drive the kid to another district, for better education. More power to the parents who want a better education for their children and willing to put forth the time doing that.

I never understood why I had to pay school taxes or anybody else if they didn't have a child in school. Yes, I do understand it goes to the school but why should it come out everybody checks if you don't have a child or children in school. That's not fair. Like paying on land or vehicle you own. Taxes like that is a racket in my opinion. I don't mind paying taxes. I like tolls if it actually goes to fixing the roads. Tax when you purchase things. Not a forever tax.

I will add... the amount of kids with disabilities due to parents on drugs is not helping either. We are looking at double to triple the number from just a short time ago when I was in school in our small town. Graduating classes are around 80 or so.

Unfortunately, now it is the 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th generation of that.

Local fella went hunting in Idaho, he used his debit card at the strip club ATM a couple times. He's single now, hahaha
Like the guy that went on a hunting trip and his wife packs his bags. He gets home and says you didn't pack me any socks...yes I did....I put them in your gun case........

Unfortunately, now it is the 2nd, 3rd and in some cases 4th generation of that.
I think this is perhaps the main problem as far having an affect on the quality of education. Most teachers are pretty good at what they do, however they are limited in how they can discipline, and a few unruly students in the classroom can affect the whole atmosphere of the classroom. Many folks are multigenerational dependents on the government for everything, and drug use and alcoholism are quite common in the homes. A lot of the parents view school as nothing more than a place to send the children to get them out of their hair for a while. They don't see the importance of their children getting an education, or learning basic responsibility. When children don't have parental support to make the most of their time in school, it makes the fact that all children have the opportunity to get an education pretty much irrelevant.

I think this is perhaps the main problem as far having an affect on the quality of education. Most teachers are pretty good at what they do, however they are limited in how they can discipline, and a few unruly students in the classroom can affect the whole atmosphere of the classroom. Many folks are multigenerational dependents on the government for everything, and drug use and alcoholism are quite common in the homes. A lot of the parents view school as nothing more than a place to send the children to get them out of their hair for a while. They don't see the importance of their children getting an education, or learning basic responsibility. When children don't have parental support to make the most of their time in school, it makes the fact that all children have the opportunity to get an education pretty much irrelevant.
You pretty well summed it up. I taught for almost 30 years and have seen the gradual increase in what you stated.

You pretty well summed it up. I taught for almost 30 years and have seen the gradual increase in what you stated.
However, there are still a lot of kids and families on the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, just like everything else, the news and the public tend to focus on the bad things instead of recognizing the good.

Latest posts