PTO won't stop spinning

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoore87

Reaction score
Was looking at an IH 806 and the PTO started spinning at a pretty good rate after staring the tractor even with lever being shut off on tractor. Guy that owned it tried grabbing it to stop it and it wouldn't. Would that most likely be a n issue with the lever, PTO clutch or somerthing else and roughly what kind of $ to fix. Would appreciate any advice.

IF you are sure the lever is lifting the hyd spool up ( to shut off ) then sounds like clutch pak in PTO unit is warped, pieces between plates, Drain oil, pull PTO unit , tear down, ( you may need to borrow or make tool ) new seals, clutch plates , 1 day's time should do it . less then $ 200.00 parts .

Haha I know we were both standing their looking at it and he surprised the be nice out of me when he reached out and tried to grab it.

By hyd spool if you mean the pin at end of the PTO lever that goes into the PTO housing then yes it was moving up and down. So a shop would probably be 500-750 with labor? Other than that the motor sounded good and the ta seemed strong. Dad has an 806 and we love it, just wanted to make sure thise wasn't something that was going to not be worth fixing relative to the value of the tractor.

bmoore87":2f54cubq said:
Haha I know we were both standing their looking at it and he surprised the be nice out of me when he reached out and tried to grab it.

By hyd spool if you mean the pin at end of the PTO lever that goes into the PTO housing then yes it was moving up and down. So a shop would probably be 500-750 with labor? Other than that the motor sounded good and the ta seemed strong. Dad has an 806 and we love it, just wanted to make sure thise wasn't something that was going to not be worth fixing relative to the value of the tractor.

A man who would attempt to stop an energized PTO by hand.....

Well, I bet you can get a bargain on the tractor. Offer him $4,000 when he says no, offer him $3,000. I bet he takes it.

Without going into too much detail, it was $1,500 (parts and labor) to replace my PTO shaft on my new JD.

Margonme":361bs7dw said:
Holy Crap. I cannot stop wondering about grabbing an energized PTO shaft.

Well Ron, I did exactly that last night. I just bought an old Leyland 344 at an auction and the shaft was spinning while the PTO was disengaged and with just 2 fingers I was able to stop it, I did the same with it engaged and the splines just flicked through my fingers, no big deal really, but then maybe I am just an idiot to which most of you will no doubt agree haha but that's OK.

Ken

wbvs58":2gpx5t2a said:
Margonme":2gpx5t2a said:

Well Ron, I did exactly that last night. I just bought an old Leyland 344 at an auction and the shaft was spinning while the PTO was disengaged and with just 2 fingers I was able to stop it, I did the same with it engaged and the splines just flicked through my fingers, no big deal really, but then maybe I am just an idiot to which most of you will no doubt agree haha but that's OK.

Ken

Don't do that Ken. I don't think you can find many users here who would consider that safe!

got to agree wouldnt take much to fix even at the worst ,let a shop do it it will cost major ! some times in off season you can find one of there mechanic that does work on side but dont go blabing it aruound .some shops dont like that or i would love to find a cheap mate for my 806 ,if by chance you dont want it

bmoore87":s88867vo said:
Was looking at an IH 806 and the PTO started spinning at a pretty good rate after staring the tractor even with lever being shut off on tractor. Guy that owned it tried grabbing it to stop it and it wouldn't. Would that most likely be a n issue with the lever, PTO clutch or somerthing else and roughly what kind of $ to fix. Would appreciate any advice.

You may need to follow the linkage those old IH tractors had linkage that would wear out from usage and wear through some of the connecting points. I have a IH that I have that issue with the remotes but too much of a PITA to fix now and I use it once every so often only to pull a hay wagon. Now I currently have a ford 5600 that will turn freely when you start it but has no power and if you have a bush hog it wont cut it stops the blade. The problem with that is the clutch brake needs to be replaced I can do it myself so not sure how much it would cost for you to take it to the shop.

mooo":2w4jihnu said:
got to agree wouldnt take much to fix even at the worst ,let a shop do it it will cost major ! some times in off season you can find one of there mechanic that does work on side but dont go blabing it aruound .some shops dont like that or i would love to find a cheap mate for my 806 ,if by chance you dont want it

It could IH built some not so friendly stuff but ive never had that issue but I have in some tractors I sell and some you literally have to tear down the whole rear to fix those issues others you do not. I have done so many ford 5000's I could do it in my sleep. Personally if you are not " ADVANCED " in those types of repairs put it in the shop.

I really like the 806s for how easy they are to get at and work on even with my limited skills I can figure out some stuff...new tractors can take me 15 minutes just to figure out how to get the shields off.

If I get it I might take a look for something basic I missed but agree I'd probly need to find a mechanic or take to a shop.

wbvs58":1i7zon2s said:
Margonme":1i7zon2s said:

Ken

As long as you keep loose clothing away there's really not much danger in grabbing it unless you're completely retarded and grab with all your might.. just slips in your hand.. Our MF 165 spins, you grab it, it stops and stays stopped

Nesikep":33zsz60u said:
wbvs58":33zsz60u said:
Margonme":33zsz60u said:

Ken

As long as you keep loose clothing away there's really not much danger in grabbing it unless you're completely retarded and grab with all your might.. just slips in your hand.. Our MF 165 spins, you grab it, it stops and stays stopped
MF bout all spin, but usually if connected to anything stops.

Better hope there are no burrs on the splines when you let them "just slip in your hand".....
don't ask why I offer that bit of personally learned wisdom..

greybeard":15qtz4j6 said:
Better hope there are no burrs on the splines when you let them "just slip in your hand".....
don't ask why I offer that bit of personally learned wisdom..
If there are it's better to do it bare handed then wearing gloves!

Latest posts