Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
PIC_5497.jpg

Born May 25, 96 lb BW.

Dylan Biggs":cve1062b said:
PIC_5497.jpg

Born May 25, 96 lb BW.

Nice calf Dylan. He looks pretty cocky to me. I am not too sure that at least 5lbs of that BW wasn't his nuts.

Looking good Dylan...Tarentaise are about my favorite continental breed...I was always surprised they didn't catch on more.... My neighbor had some old tarentaise and X cross cows that brought in calves every year til they were years past being old enough to vote....

Oldtimer":24vn7y2e said:
Looking good Dylan...Tarentaise are about my favorite continental breed...I was always surprised they didn't catch on more.... My neighbor had some old tarentaise and X cross cows that brought in calves every year til they were years past being old enough to vote....

No doubt they make great cross bred cows, the color issue is probably one of the major challenges through the years.

Nice calf! Looks like he thinks he is king of the herd already.

Color, and a funky name, have both held back the Tarentaise breed, I think.

Dylan Biggs":swd0lnb5 said:
Oldtimer":swd0lnb5 said:

No doubt they make great cross bred cows, the color issue is probably one of the major challenges through the years.
I know very little about the breed. What are the issues with color? Inconsistencies?

novaman":i2stnwrz said:
Dylan Biggs":i2stnwrz said:
Oldtimer":i2stnwrz said:

I know very little about the breed. What are the issues with color? Inconsistencies?[/quote]

Probably not black.

The degree of feeder cattle buyer color discrimination will vary with locale and strenght of the market.

In our area the Char cross buckskin(tan) will bring top dollar, then your solid red and black Angus/Exotic cross cattle. There is always more discrimination in the calf market then in the fall yearling market also. The traditional Tarentaise color pattern and the cross progeny that are brindles will be discounted regardless of quality because with a minority color class the buyers can, and so they do.

If they are crossed on blacks and the muzzle ring is almost hidden then you may get away with it.

Here if you sell yearlings scaled out of your own yard with conditions of sale and weight known before a price is determined you can sell the good quality off colors without a discount with the rest of the solid reds and blacks. If you go through the ring with a handful then chances are you will be predatorized regardless of quality.

Latest posts