Proud of Tennessee today.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Some TV news show was showing viewer comments on having someone armed at schools. One guy was very opposed because of the danger to kids getting caught in the middle of a gunfight.

I guess he wants a gunman to have clear shots at the kids with no interference. :???:

They are missing the whole point. These cowards are not that much different than a terrorist in my opinion. They are looking for a soft target. You put an armed guard there, the deterrent is enough to thwart most cowards/terrorists. There won't be a crossfire.

When they are intent on a murder suicide, it might not be as much of a detour ant as we think. Still it would be nice to get the idiot before he could harm someone.

I feel that even when they are committing such an act, there will either have some sort of self preservation reaction, where they don't want to be shot- because it hurts if you aren't dead, or they ultimately want control of the situation and so don't want shot so they can be the one to end their own life.

I believe there will be an affect. If you are having to deal with an equal threat, you can't focus on the next target. A few moments of distraction, may allow more distance to be placed between potential victims and the assailant- saving lives.

If by some chance, the assailant is not altered by an armed individual, I would think it would allow the individual to focus on eliminating them.

Craig Miller":e34zjsc0 said:
Not that i think this is a bad idea because i do think more armed citizens is the answer, who decides which teachers are sane enough to carry a gun? The teachers today are not the same as they were even 20 yrs ago. I see news all the time about teachers abusing kids

I understand, but we have to make the same decisions for police officers as well- so there should be a process to follow.

My wife has stepped in and been stabbed to save another child. The knife was tiny but still, I might have at least had to ask if the kid deserved before I took it for him. I know she would carry at school if approved and officially trained. She understands that there are evil people in the world and would do whatever to save her babies if needed. She is smart and acts quickly under pressure (she saved herself from an attacker in college with nothing but a screw driver). There are enough like her in many buildings, it would sure be a good start.

Commercialfarmer":3p16rj3h said:
Craig Miller":3p16rj3h said:
Not that i think this is a bad idea because i do think more armed citizens is the answer, who decides which teachers are sane enough to carry a gun? The teachers today are not the same as they were even 20 yrs ago. I see news all the time about teachers abusing kids

I understand, but we have to make the same decisions for police officers as well- so there should be a process to follow.

Great point. Sounds like your wife should be the first one to carry. What about using the military? I guess thats walking a fine line between protection and marshall law but if we are going to send them to other countries to protect us why not use them here

highgrit":3515n9ay said:
You would like to think all teachers were sane enough to own and shoot guns. After all most working folks trust them raise our kids. We know quite a few teachers personally and everyone of them would die protecting their kids. A good teacher makes a bond with the kids that last a lifetime. I'am looking at 60 and I remember the names of most of my teachers, because they cared.

You would like to think, however, I know several teachers very well and they are all good people and good teachers but the thought of some of them carrying, particularly around a room full of kids would make me nervous.

If they were comfortable carrying, fine. Maybe when the shooter comes in the classroom while a teacher is teaching they could neutralize as a last resort. Not likely, but maybe.

Teachers are teachers not security. If you want security hire an appropriate number of security, based on size of school. It would seem to me that armed campus police or security would have a better chance of neutralization before the shooter made it into a classroom.

Teachers that carry could possibly be usefull as a last resort if and only if there was some type of warning.

In Virginia our Governor has openly advocated for this as well....
probably the only governor in the last 25 years with enough guts to do that.....

another idea I heeard that I like is to hire unemployed veterans as security officers...already trained in the basics just need to go thru some security and background and sanity checks...then put them thru the state police firarms training and put one in every school.

3waycross":2lgjghki said:
The voice of reason.....finally!
:bang:
Makes way too much sense to be given any notice by politicians. Wouldn't be a lot of angles for the media to screw up either. Straight forward and to the point.

thats it.....the solution

a Jedi in every school.....

but does not that invoke a belief in a higher power? specifically "The Force".

NO ....NO...that will not do at all....we can not have our children exposed to such indoctrination in the schools.....
why it might undo all our liberal indoctination....and belief in the empire as the supreme being....

besides a rouge Jedi under the influence of the empire might slay all the Jedi children....

bear":1idtbj6q said:
You would like to think, however, I know several teachers very well and they are all good people and good teachers but the thought of some of them carrying, particularly around a room full of kids would make me nervous.
If they were comfortable carrying, fine. Maybe when the shooter comes in the classroom while a teacher is teaching they could neutralize as a last resort. Not likely, but maybe.

Teachers are teachers not security. If you want security hire an appropriate number of security, based on size of school. It would seem to me that armed campus police or security would have a better chance of neutralization before the shooter made it into a classroom.
Teachers that carry could possibly be usefull as a last resort if and only if there was some type of warning.

I tend to agree with bear. A school is a place of learning and should be a place of safety, teachers are there to teach not worry about their pupils safety. I say let a security firm or the likes handle it, the odd teacher can carry but it should not be their responsibility to protect the school.

alisonb":397ulwkq said:
bear":397ulwkq said:

I tend to agree with bear. A school is a place of learning and should be a place of safety, teachers are there to teach not worry about their pupils safety. I say let a security firm or the likes handle it, the odd teacher can carry but it should not be their responsibility to protect the school.

And how are volunteer fireman able to save lives when they are actually salesmen, mechanics, farmers, etc and not full time firefighters?

Dave":3ls93yzh said:
alisonb":3ls93yzh said:

And how are volunteer fireman able to save lives when they are actually salesmen, mechanics, farmers, etc and not full time firefighters?

My point is it should not be the teachers responsibility to protect the school even though they may be able to save lives by volunteering to carry a firearm.

alisonb":3w3yp5yq said:
Dave":3w3yp5yq said:
alisonb":3w3yp5yq said:

My point is it should not be the teachers responsibility to protect the school even though they may be able to save lives by volunteering to carry a firearm.

The point should be: "What is the most effective way that children in a school class room can be protected from an outside threat".

Without the NRA, many of our priviledges to firearms would have most certainly already been lost. The decision to allow Tennessee teachers to carry in the classroom is probably nothing more than that. Another sector of society has been given the ability to carry. Is it the most effective way that children in the classroom can be protected? In my opinion, No. Is this the best we have to offer our children and grandchildren. I hope not.

Campus police could also help in other areas. One big one being drug trafficking in the school.

Volunteers are certainly heros in their own right. But, when it comes to the safety of my grandchildren when compared to the most recent occurences, I would not consider an inadequately trained volunteer to be the most effective way to protect them or the best we have to offer.

Latest posts