protien tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

They will hit it hard at first, but heavy consumption might also be an indication that the stockpiled grass is not very nutritive, which is why the cattle might need the tubs. I'll be putting tubs out Saturday for that very reason.
There's still stockpiled grass in their big pasture, and it's not going to get any better, so I want them to clean it up before we move on to winter grazing or hay. They don't look as good as I'd like for them to - not poor by any means, but I can tell a little difference, and they've been going through the loose mineral like wildfire the past couple weeks. Time for the sticky stuff.

cross_7":tmgc0jll said:
i bought the 38% tub on friday or saturday
left for work on monday
got back and checked the heifers today
the white-faced heifers looked all black from a distance
checked the tub and they had licked a funnel shaped hole right down thru the center
so they stick there entire head in the tub and got the molasses all over their heads
and have eaten 75% of it in 4-5 days ( 10 head- 7wt.)

they have plenty of dry grass to eat
so i guess the limiter doesn't work

What was the brand of the tub? Ordinarily cooked tubs as so hard they literally cannot overeat, or only a small potion of the top will soften at one time to allow consumption. Some manufacturers simply use the hardness of the tub and the Ph to limit consumption.

it's a rangeland tub
i put it in the lot next to the water trough and it being new to them may be part of the problem
if i do it again i'm going to move it away from their loafing area.

cross_7":2mdie50c said:
it's a rangeland tub
i put it in the lot next to the water trough and it being new to them may be part of the problem
if i do it again i'm going to move it away from their loafing area.

Move it away from the water trough and put out free choice mineral if you haven't already. That should help some or at least will keep the cattle rotating so that everbody gets their share.