Protien Tub?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I am wondering if the TSC brand 200lb, 16% protein tub is comparable to loose minerals? The label reads:
(5% fat major minerals calcium, phosphorus & magnesium. All natural, safe for use w/ horses, all weights of beef & dairy cattle, sheep and goats.)

Does anyone use the American Stockman brand loose minerals? (from TSC) Can you use this brand with horses?

My horses are currently pastured with the cattle and I don't have a way to separate them yet so I need something that horses can get into and not be hurt. I realize there are probably better brands just found this tub the other day and thought I get some advice. Open to all suggestions...

I've never used a mineral tub with horses. But I have used American Stockman brand loose mineral for both. Any of your standard livestock minerals can be used for both as long as they are not medicated.

I would think that the horses would not leave the tub alone due to the molases used as a bonding agent.

Horses should not use same mineral(s) tub as used for cattle! They have different nutrient requirements. And, some components can be harmful to horses.

Don't know about the TSC mineral tubs but the percentage you mentioned seems a little for protein level. We use a 30% protein molasses tub for our Longhorns. Also a 2% specialty tub for benefiting their horns. We also supplement those with 20% protein Range Cubes in winter and when grass is zilch.

We use a special 12% "Remuda Tub" formulated for horses distributed by BioRemedies, LLC in Kansas.

Minerals in general are cheap insurance for the health, well-being, and hoof, reproduction, hair coat, etc. of one's livestock. "Pennywise...Pound Foolish"

J":236kgvgj said:
I am wondering if the TSC brand 200lb, 16% protein tub is comparable to loose minerals? The label reads:
(5% fat major minerals calcium, phosphorus & magnesium. All natural, safe for use w/ horses, all weights of beef & dairy cattle, sheep and goats.)

Does anyone use the American Stockman brand loose minerals? (from TSC) Can you use this brand with horses?

My horses are currently pastured with the cattle and I don't have a way to separate them yet so I need something that horses can get into and not be hurt. I realize there are probably better brands just found this tub the other day and thought I get some advice. Open to all suggestions...

I think I would be careful with a protein tub out where the horses can get into it. The neighbor foundered his horses on those tubs. We had a mare founder a while back on a Rabon block.

J":2rgcy5c7 said:

I assume this is one of TSC's tubs in the blue bucket? These "All Natural" tubs are safe to use for Horses, because they have no Urea in them. Tubs and Loose Minerals are two seperate ballgames. Basically these tubs they sell are nothing more than pressed feed, and dont offer a lot in nutritional value. I would go with a loose mineral containing no urea, and make sure it's labeled for Horse use, or better yet, pen the Horses in a seperate lot, and give them an Equine Tub or mineral.

Use caution using a tub for your cattle that is also safe for sheep. They do not have enough copper in them for the cows- As for the horses, I couldn't tell you.. never fed a tub to the horses. Good Luck

I've used the blue tubs (16%) from TSC for quite a few years. I use them for the cows, but the horses use them too and are doing fine.

cross_7":31igk6d5 said:
So after all that is the loose mineral a problem for horses ?

No probably not, but I only use white salt, and a horse mineral block.

Bigfoot":23k1s4zi said:
cross_7":23k1s4zi said:
So after all that is the loose mineral a problem for horses ?

No probably not, but I only use white salt, and a horse mineral block.

I was told I need to switch from blocks to loose mineral and the cows are in the horse pasture til June/July so I was not sure if it would be a problem for the horse

image_zpsaeeaba86.jpg

I have fed Purinas wind and rain mineral where my horses could get to it without any problems. A straight 12/12 loose cattle mineral will be okay for horses. Purina makes a loose 12/12 mineral for horses called Free Balance that has about the same guaranteed analysis as their 12/12 wind and rain mineral for cattle without the salt and a few trace minerals that are in horse feeds anyway.

Cattle mineral shouldn't hurt a horse. They need the vitamins and minerals so will eat only what they need. Horse mineral usually will have a 2:1 ca:p ration and B Vitamins included but otherwise not that much difference.

I was under the impression (probably erroneously) that Bovetec and Ruminsen was bad for horse. Some minerals have it in it. If it is in fact bad for horses I would just make sure I got stuff without it.

dun":2zs53ml2 said:
I was under the impression (probably erroneously) that Bovetec and Ruminsen was bad for horse. Some minerals have it in it. If it is in fact bad for horses I would just make sure I got stuff without it.

Any feed product containing either is suppose to have a warning that it can be fatal to equines.

A normal 'unmedicated' cattle mineral should pose no problem for horses.
Only issue I can think of would be if the DDG or other grain product that may be mixed in as a filler contains any of the fumonisin class of mycotoxins - 2ppm will kill a horse - but it'd be unlikely that they'd consume enough to cause an issue.

But - if it contains ionophores - rumensin/monensin or bovatec/lasalocid - it could definitely be a problem.
Not sure I'd want to feed a 'medicated' mineral containing CTC to horses.

Latest posts