protien 24, Fat 11- ?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Got an analysis back on a load of corn and soybeans, the protein was 24 and fat was 11, I was told I can only feed 2 lbs. per 600lb calf per day, any thoughts? I was thinking maybe I could find straight corn screenings and try to blend it off. I had hope of doing the same as I have in the past and filling a self feeder this summer to fatten a few steers.
Thanks in advance

Corn screenings may be ok, oats would be another option, possibly sunflower screenings as long as it wasn't too clean, maybe chopped poorer quality hay/ straw? What you have is pretty high in protein and fat so you need to add something to increase the fiber (lowering the amount of protein and fat per pound) or give them hay and the mix you already have with salt & mineral added to make it self regulating.

mncowboy":27eeh3sw said:
Got an analysis back on a load of corn and soybeans, the protein was 24 and fat was 11, I was told I can only feed 2 lbs. per 600lb calf per day, any thoughts? I was thinking maybe I could find straight corn screenings and try to blend it off. I had hope of doing the same as I have in the past and filling a self feeder this summer to fatten a few steers.
Thanks in advance
You should be able to feed 4 lb. of that but I certainly wouldn't free choice it in a creep feeder. Dilute it with some other low protein by-product and it might work. They will still need plenty of roughage.

I picked up another half a semi load of straight corn screenings and blended off the soybeans. Seem's to have worked, calves aren't so loose after consuming it.

Latest posts