protein

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Do you feed protein? How do you know if your cattle are getting enough or to much? I have been feeding protein tubs, for about 5 years ,with good success. The cows stay in good body condition and are running 92% rebred every year. My main complaint is the cost of the tubs.
I think I can get by feeding 16% cubes every other day which would cost about half as much.
Any thoughts?

mostly depends on what else they have got to eat.

I will feed range cubes between calving and breeding but it is as much to get the cattle to come to call as it is for the protein. I give about a lb per head per day from late october through November. I have finished aI breeding and have four bags of cubes left.

we are short of hay in our country this year and my son is using crystalix tubs on his herd this year. Says while it is expensive it is cheaper than buying hay and satisfies the cows and they are in good shape for breeding.

denoginnizer":1i1ownzw said:
Do you feed protein? How do you know if your cattle are getting enough or to much? I have been feeding protein tubs, for about 5 years ,with good success. The cows stay in good body condition and are running 92% rebred every year.
  • >My main complaint is the cost of the tubs.<
I think I can get by feeding 16% cubes every other day which would cost about half as much.
Any thoughts?
mine too alot of it can be just waste if you cant control the intake on some. some will take in more than they actually need and get mud butts

What is the reason for low breeding rates? Is it the lack or protein or the lack of body condition?

denoginnizer":2jjf2afe said:
What is the reason for low breeding rates? Is it the lack or protein or the lack of body condition?

I probably over generalized my statement. But one year I bought some "good hay" from a fella. Big mounded cow pies were left behind them and before I knew it they were on the decline and the bull was in with them and they were nursing. The lack of body condition is what I suspect did it. They just couldn't make milk and make a new calf at the same time. When you see your cows every day, gradual weight loss can slip up on you or it did me. I got a 70% calving rate that year. The next year I overcompensated, used only hay I raised myself AND fed syrup. I lost a few calves at birth cause they were too big and/or the cows were too fat. Now, I just feed good hay until they calve, then put them on the best grazing I got. In my opinion, its all a matter of balance. Figuring out what is best in your situation is the tricky part. The pictures on the link are really a good guide.

Latest posts