Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen protein tubs for about $60-$70/200lb locally but they ain't worth a crap. My cows wouldn't touch the one I did try a couple of years ago, and I've never found a source nearby for ddg here.
This is oil/gas country and the ethanol for the refineries comes in via pipeline.

greybeard":1c6p2nkx said:
I've seen protein tubs for about $60-$70/200lb locally but they ain't worth a crap. My cows wouldn't touch the one I did try a couple of years ago, and I've never found a source nearby for ddg here.
This is oil/gas country and the ethanol for the refineries comes in via pipeline.
The Smart Lick 30% protein tubs with IGR are $113.00 for a 250 lb tub. There's a $5 deposit on the tub (they're metal & reuse them) but you get it back or credit. These last waaay longer than any tubs we've purchased at Orscheln, TSC, Atwoods, etc.

Last winter I bought alfalfa hay that tested 18% protein for $125 a ton delivered. I fed it at about 5 pounds per head per day which gave them plenty of protein and it saved on the amount of other hay I fed. I fed it in bunks. While living on the coast I never fed hay on the ground. Too much mud made for too much waste.

Son Of Butch, everyone knows that Calves bawl all day because their Daddy ran off with another Cow.