Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber":b7425z1a said:
If think if you are not feeding a real good hay, tubs may be something to think about.
All they are eating is grass.

I only have 10 and I have a lot of green fescue, and dry Bermuda.

If their manure piles get to stacking up pretty bad I would probably put them on it. Where are you at on your weight schedule? Will your pasture get them to calving weight on it's own?

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase. I remember seeing you post about looking. Did I miss the post announcing the buy and pics?

what is their bcs and which way is it headed? Between calf, placenta, fluids, etc---heifer can drop 200#.

I'd go by condition--hair is a great indicator--and stools. Cheaper to gradually build condition. I feed bovatec with my mineral. Lotsa my hay/grass is not that high in protein, gets more thruput.

If there's a way to spend more for a pound of protein than using tubs, I'm unfamiliar with it.

Lots of variables
Idk your winter climate
But imo tubs are a expensive choice unless you can't feed everyday.

IMO...
Unless the grass they are getting isn't meeting their nutritional requirements I wouldn't feed them anything except hay if the grass plays out or snow covered.
Bermuda probably doesn't have much feed value but the fescue should be good enough.
Heifers tend to get over conditioned.
Excess feed and protein makes for fat heifers and big calves.
I'd rather them be a little thin than too fat.
You can always feed them if they need help after they calve.

Again that's based on here with mild winters and being in pretty good body condition

Their body condition looks great. Their hair looks great. Their piles look right. Eyes looks bright.

I am feeding free choice Breeder 12 mineral from MFA that my vet recommended.

I also give them a bag of 20% cubes per week to train them to come and follow me. They caught on to that pretty quick. 50# between 10 is not much, but they sure like it.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what I'd do without CT and its great group of folks. I said a little prayer for all ya'll over my thanksgiving feast.

HDRider":jr35x6kw said:
Their body condition looks great. Their hair looks great. Their piles look right. Eyes looks bright.

I am feeding free choice Breeder 12 mineral from MFA that my vet recommended.

Sounds like a winning formula. I'd leave it be.

HDRider":2hdh4qm2 said:
Should I put out protein tubs for bred heifers due in March?
Only if they need it. Tubs/liquid feed/cubes etc are designed to supplement low quality roughage and/or forage. Watch body condition. That should tell the story.

HDRider":3e466q0o said:
Like what Jed?
You'll have to check feed and grain prices.
Like now I'm feeding 25% ddg for .08 a pound. Whole corn is cheaper than that but not as high of protine.
Cottonseed is .10 a pound.
Haven't priced rice bran.
Take the price per ton of the tubs then take the moisture out of it and see what it's costing per ton.
Then see what you can get diffrent stuff for.

http://www.wholecottonseed.com/cottonseed-101

I feed cotton seed and corn about 50 - 50 mix this year about 3 lbs. My hay is not very good so supplementing is mandatory.
My 50 - 50 mix is costing me $180. ton, but I add 50lbs of mineral, 50lbs molasses and 50lbs sodium bicarbonate per ton. When the weather is warm cut back, if the cows poop is runny cut back, adjust as needed.

I like tubs. Kick one out check it once in a while, keep the hay out. I got plenty of hay anyway. Just easy for me. I do buy vita ferm tubs.

Latest posts