Protein Tubs- Baked vs Poured, Your Preference and Why

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have pretty good quality hay and I normally don't use tubs too often. But hay was short in this area last year and I am putting a few out just to conserve hay in case it is needed in the Spring. Which tubs do you prefer and why? Assume that these are good quality tubs the only difference is the processing. I know that the baked will last longer, but other than that which do you prefer?

I have pretty good quality hay and I normally don't use tubs too often. But hay was short in this area last year and I am putting a few out just to conserve hay in case it is needed in the Spring. Which tubs do you prefer and why? Assume that these are good quality tubs the only difference is the processing. I know that the baked will last longer, but other than that which do you prefer?
You're better off feeding 2-1-1 range meal to conserve hay.
High protein tubs will build a fire in their belly increasing consumption.
Great stuff if you have lots of poor hay or poor pasture.

I get the 200 lbs. high mag 24% fescue tubs mostly (yellow tubs usually). They were $92 last year and the last two I bought were $110 each. I assume they are poured, but they last several days. The regular protein tubs are gone the next day.

I get the 200 lbs. high mag 24% fescue tubs mostly (yellow tubs usually). They were $92 last year and the last two I bought were $110 each. I assume they are poured, but they last several days. The regular protein tubs are gone the next day.
I think you got the baked tubs. I paid $110/tub at a Co-Op yesterday. The poured tubs were 60 something.

Cook
Cooked tub will cost a lot more but they also are much lower in moisture and contain much more dry matter. Consumption will also be much less due to hardness.

37% blocks. Way cheaper per # of protein, but I don't use them very often. Bought some for the ones with calves on them this winter.

Caustic is right an actual protein feed will increase the hay the cattle will eat. You want an energy/grain product. Another option would be to limit feed them, give them a couple of hours to eat and shut them away from the hay for the rest of the day.

Everywhere you look around here you see tubs out I called the store up just curious thought maybe they were a affordable option….. not the case $100 a tub 200 lbs you can get 10 sacks of cubes for that darn near it…. Be my luck I'd buy then and the darn pine wood rooters find them and eat em up over night.

Tubs are the most expensive way to increase protein. I have used them at times but would prefer almost any other source to add protein to their diet.
Actually liquid feed is the most expensive because of the high amount of moisture in it.
Nutrition is based on dry matter.

It depends on the purpose.if you have lots of low palatable roughage each tub could save you from purchasing tons of hay while maintaining body condition.

My understanding is grain can actually make a cow not eat as much poor forage. When you go grain you have to go all the way to maintain them. I guess that's OK if you don't have forage any way.

With things like liquid feed and even the wcs you are increasing the amount of poor forage they will take in.

I have been very pleased with the liquid feed. I'm getting more consistent intake rates and I feel like they are doing a better job getting after that poor forage. I have not noticed any increase of hay. In fact, the liquid feed/ wcs/ more poor forage has cut our winter hay drastically.

My understanding is grain can actually make a cow not eat as much poor forage. When you go grain you have to go all the way to maintain them. I guess that's OK if you don't have forage any way.

With things like liquid feed and even the wcs you are increasing the amount of poor forage they will take in.

I have been very pleased with the liquid feed. I'm getting more consistent intake rates and I feel like they are doing a better job getting after that poor forage. I have not noticed any increase of hay. In fact, the liquid feed/ wcs/ more poor forage has cut our winter hay drastically.
I have had a liquid feed tank for forty years. It's great if you have plenty of forage or low quality hay.
If you don't have stockpiled pasture or surplus hay you better shut them off from the tank. It's Westway liquid feed used to be Cargill. The cows will burn through your hay.
I built this self feeder years ago and it holds two tons range meal. You have to change with the conditions.
Most years all I feed is hay and minerals.

Attachments

• F01158C0-ABD6-41FA-8336-1C626CB041C6.jpeg
    F01158C0-ABD6-41FA-8336-1C626CB041C6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Actually liquid feed is the most expensive because of the high amount of moisture in it.
Nutrition is based on dry matter.
Most of my life I have lived where liquid feed is simply not available. Thus I never even consider it. But I did major in animal nutrition in college a hundred years ago so I do understand using DM when calculating cost or balancing rations.

I was going to buy some tubs of 24% pressed cake but the fellow at the co-op stated that the protein bypasses the rumen. The solid doesn't and is superior for low quality forage. I can't find any evidence of this elsewhere.

As for cost we do strip grazing in the winter so its mainly used for when fescue starts testing in the 11s and we need something portable

Latest posts