Protein Tub vs Hay intake ?

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman

Reaction score
Due to a late season drought (2010) I did not get my fall stand of fescue in my pastures for my cattle. Therefore I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of hay consumption. Would adding a protein tub reduce the amount of hay consumed ?

It could increase the amount of hay consumption. It depends on what type of tubs you buy and what kind of hay you are feeding.

If you have decent quality hay, I would stick with it and leave out the expense of the tubs. How do your cows look? Are they dumping chunks or cow pies etc?

If my cows are getting decent hay, the only other supplement they get is loose mineral and salt. If the quality of hay is not all that great, I might put out some high protein tubs. The higher the protein the more junk hay consumption in order to put out the fire in their belly.

Jeane (I think it was Jeane) put out a thread on evaluating cow poop a week or so ago. It is good info and on the money as far as i am concerned. I look over the condition of my cows and I look at their poop to determine nutritional needs.

Typically hay consumption will go up when you put a tub or lick tank out. I am assuming you are working with poor quality hay.

My hay seems worse this year and it looks like mineral consumption is really up this winter.

I saw a noticable drop in the amount of hay it took to maintain the cattle thru the winter when using tubs. Yall may be looking at this the wrong way. Where the tubs work out better for us is when the cows stay in good condition on just tubs with pasture and there is no need for hay. If you are having to do tubs and hay then there is not a savings on one over the other. The tub can be used to supplement the lack of protein in the pasture.... to prevent having to feed hay.

The only time I like to feed hay is when it is really cold and wet because the cattle cant get out to graze. Hay is expensive when you add up the initial planting cost, maintaining they hay fields, cutting, bailing, stacking, and then unstacking, finally hauling to be fed.... and the big one... TIME to do all theat. It takes 5min to walk in an buy as many tubs as needed. :)

Obviously this wouldn't work in every situation but has worked well for us and others in the area.