Protein Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

Bushhog

Reaction score
We have our first cows -- 3 angus heifers due to calve in early Feb. They are on about 12 A of good fescue that grew tall after early summer mowing. I assume that the standing grass, while being pretty much the same as hay, may be losing nutrition value. There is plenty of grass, but should we add a protein tub or other supplement to ensure good health? The cows look good (to an untrained eye) and seem content. I have read here that calving problems can be caused by overfeeding (esp. in a heifer). Suggestions from some of you pros will be appreciated!

I always keep minerals and protein tubs out myself. That way if they need it it's always there.

An animal will usually only eat or lick what it needs. However, there are some cattle with eating disorders...lol.

Winter when grass is down we put out 30% protein tub. Year around, we keep a 2% mineral tub out along with a salt block. They'll switch around with these things usually on a daily basis or as needed.

Thanks for your responses. I will get a protein tub (already have mineral/salt blocks out).

With respect to the grass -- so long as it lasts (it is long and there is a lot), should we also offer good hay? Is there any problem with grass after heavy frosts/freezes start?

I offer hay when there is a lot of snow on the ground and sometimes when it's raining. I have plenty so some waste doesn't hurt us. The cattle stay warmer/more comfortable when they have hay in those situations.

If you put out a protein supplement, keep a close eye for over fatness. Probably the easiest way to keep an eye on condition is looking at the brisket. If they are fat in the brisket they're probably starting to get too fat. Problem is that if they loose fat in the brisket it's probably too late to do much about putting condition back on. You want a little fat in the brisket but not a ball of fat. If the skin over the brisket is sharp (a relative concept) and looks like the bow of a ship they're thin, if it looks more like the bow of a typical small boat it's about right. Hard to explain, easier to just point it out with a bunch of cows.
Sorry I can't explain it any better/clearer

dun

Thanks for the replies.
Dun, I appreciate your advice on condition. Based on your description, I'm guessing that one of our girls is a little overweight, one pleasantly plump and one OK to slightly on the thin side. All of them are on grass, mineral block and the occasional (not daily) scoop of cracked corn when we want them to hang around the bunk feeder so we can look them over. Should we hold off on the protein tub, or can we hope the heavy one will not go after it?
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Remeber this is my opinion and what works for us.
Some animals will alwasy be easy keepers (fat). Once the start nursing as long as the don't cheat their calf I don't worry about it. We have one that almost looks like she carrys anything from a volleyball toaa basketball in her brisket, but she weaned a great calf so I don'y hold it against her.
I wouldn't go to the protein supplemnt tub untill the quality of the forage starts to really decline and then only if I wasn;'t giving any other supplement or good quality hay.
That's what has worked for us. On just pasture and minerals and water our cows and even the bred heifers tend to put on condition over the winter, and some ofthem really get fat.

dun

Latest posts