% Protein of ration

Help Support CattleToday:

alfalfaking":f70hi6x1 said:
Does anyone know how to figure the protein % of a ration? :?

Only if you have a list of ingredients as well as the percentage of the total ration each ingredient represents. Purchased "Complete Feed" should have it on the guaranteed analysis.

are you wanting a corn and protein supplement ration?

1600 lbs. corn at 9% protein = 144 lbs protein
400 lbs supplement at 40 % protein = 160 lbs protein

15.2 % ration

X 9 14400
____ * _____ = _________ X = 144 lbs protein in corn
1600 100 100X

X 40 1600
_____ * ________ = ______ X = 160 lbs protein in suppliment
400 100 100X

Total protein 304 lbs in a 2000 lb mix
304 X 30400
_____*______ = __________ X = 15.2 % protein in ration
2000 100 2000X

There is a method using a square to figure a ration but I just do it this way

numbers moved when posted just put numbers and X's over and under the lines for equation

Found the pearson square formula
a0001cos.jpg

In order to make the square work consistently, there are three very important considerations:

The value in the middle of the square must be intermediate between the two values that are used on the left side of the square. For example, the 14 percent crude protein requirement has to be intermediate between the soybean meal that has 45 percent crude protein or the corn that has 10 percent crude protein. If barley is used that has 12 percent crude protein and corn that has 10 percent crude protein, the square calculation method will not work because the 14 percent is outside the range of the values on the left side of the square.
Disregard any negative numbers that are generated on the right side of the square. Be concerned only with the numerical differences between the nutrient requirement and the ingredient nutrient values.
Subtract the nutrient value from the nutritional requirement on the diagonal and arrive at a numerical value entitled parts. By summing those parts and dividing by the total, you can determine the percent of the ration that each ingredient should represent in order to provide a specific nutrient level. Always subtract on the diagonal within the square in order to determine parts. Always double check calculations to make sure that you did not have a mathematical error. It also is very important to work on a uniform basis. Use a 100-percent dry-matter basis for nutrient composition of ingredients and requirements and then convert to an as-fed basis after the formulation is calculated.
Corn represents (31.0 / 35.00) x 100 of the ration, or 88.57 percent. Soybean meal represents (4.0 / 35.00) x 100 of the ration, or .43 percent.

Check of the calculation:

88.57 lb corn x 10.0% CP = 8.86
11.43 lb SBM x 45.0% CP = 5.14
100.00 lb mixture contains = 14.00 lb CP, or 14 percent.

On my figures 15.2 is a little high in protein just use differant lbs of corn and supplement to get the % protein you want I round the corn back to 9% protein
I see that some use 10% for protein