Protein & mineral tub

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder how comsumption would be. My guess it isn't a cooked tub and they will probably be biting chunks out of it. Gone in no time flat.

I've used something similar for several years. It takes about 3 weeks before you see full effect on flies and even then how your neighbors handle their fly control will affect how good it works. Also, you'll need to take away all other mineral to get them to consume what they need.

George

Herefords.US":h8uqofyd said:
I've used something similar for several years. It takes about 3 weeks before you see full effect on flies and even then how your neighbors handle their fly control will affect how good it works. Also, you'll need to take away all other mineral to get them to consume what they need.

George

Well I know most on here advised me against the mineral blocks but I didn't know if this was consider better. There are no cattle within 2 miles of mine. I wish I knew exactly what minerals were in it. It weighs 125 lbs. I wonder how long it will last with 8-10 stocker calves that will be grazing?

tncattle":1drqbk3i said:
Herefords.US":1drqbk3i said:

George

Well I know most on here advised me against the mineral blocks but I didn't know if this was consider better. There are no cattle within 2 miles of mine. I wish I knew exactly what minerals were in it. It weighs 125 lbs. I wonder how long it will last with 8-10 stocker calves that will be grazing?

I used the General Purpose Mineral Blocks from Tractor Supply before I found some that were slightly better.

You need to look at the tag to see what's in the tub - there is some variation in them. The fly control tubs I've used in the past didn't come from Tractor Supply. Also, I was using them for my breeding stock and wasn't too concerned about the cost and they DID go through quite a few of them. They might not be cost effective for stockers.

George

tncattle":1jx514fj said:
Herefords.US":1jx514fj said:

George

My Mineralyx 250 lb tubs have the contents available online, is a first class product and costs about $90 for 250 lb. Before I would spend $62 on a 125 lb tub I would really checkout the contents. 1 250 lb barrel will probably last 8-10 head most of the summer. However if they are consuming more mineral it means they need more and I look at that as a good thing. Give it to them.

I also would not use that as my only fly control. with only 8-10 head on 28 acres the manure fly control is of questionable value. I like rubs but in your case for fly control you may be better off with fly tags (eartags) just for the summer.

I don't know what the internal effect of the mineral fly control is but I am real careful on what I put in cattle that are going to be harvested in the next 6 months especially. jmho. Jim

Might also elminate your dung beetles. I'd rather keep the beetles and use rubs for flies when they are thick enough to be a problem.

Baydog":1r58pfqj said:
Might also elminate your dung beetles. I'd rather keep the beetles and use rubs for flies when they are thick enough to be a problem.
This has been debunked. IGR is specific to horn flys and won;t affect anything else