Protective Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
A few years ago, Paul Harvey told of a farmer whose cows were like a bunch of pets they were so tame. This farmer passed out one day out in the pasture, and they found him with the cows in a protective circle around him, and they didn't want anyone to get to him.

I thought this was a neat story, then I got one of my own. We had some female dogs, and our neighbor across the road had a big mean black dog, who came visiting the females. He was unfriendly toward the boys and my wife, and I didn't trust him around the cattle. He had taken to growling at us on our own property. It was in a December, I believe. I went out after dark to feed hay or something, and I had a BB gun in case he showed up, I was going to sting him and run him off. I had some hay tarped that I didn't have room in the barn for. I walked up to the hay stack, and this black dog came out of the shadows of the stack growling. I didn't have time to get the gun cocked, and I backed up quickly with my hair standing on end. While I was trying to get the gun in operation, my cows, led by the cow in the second batch of Greenwillow pictures, came rushing up to the fence ready to do battle with the dog. I think if he hadn't tucked tail and headed across the road, they'd have come through the fence after him. A day or two later, my wife was getting into the car, and he come at her, and that heifer did the same thing. The dog finally got run over. We didn't do it, but my wife tried that day in the yard!

Does anyone else have a similar story?

There's a gal on another board that I frequent, that has a family milk cow that seems to be extremely devoted to her.
If the cow hears the gal yell or raise her voice at all, she comes running, through and over fences, ready to do battle with whatever might be threatening "her" person.

Ann B

greenwillowherefords":cey4lzih said:
A few years ago, Paul Harvey told of a farmer whose cows were like a bunch of pets they were so tame. This farmer passed out one day out in the pasture, and they found him with the cows in a protective circle around him, and they didn't want anyone to get to him.

I thought this was a neat story, then I got one of my own. We had some female dogs, and our neighbor across the road had a big mean black dog, who came visiting the females. He was unfriendly toward the boys and my wife, and I didn't trust him around the cattle. He had taken to growling at us on our own property. It was in a December, I believe. I went out after dark to feed hay or something, and I had a BB gun in case he showed up, I was going to sting him and run him off. I had some hay tarped that I didn't have room in the barn for. I walked up to the hay stack, and this black dog came out of the shadows of the stack growling. I didn't have time to get the gun cocked, and I backed up quickly with my hair standing on end. While I was trying to get the gun in operation, my cows, led by the cow in the second batch of Greenwillow pictures, came rushing up to the fence ready to do battle with the dog. I think if he hadn't tucked tail and headed across the road, they'd have come through the fence after him. A day or two later, my wife was getting into the car, and he come at her, and that heifer did the same thing. The dog finally got run over. We didn't do it, but my wife tried that day in the yard!

I would have taken more of a BB gun with me and put an end to that mess. Mean dogs are bad enough, when they wander on your own property and attack you that is more than enough grounds to send him to his maker.

BLACKPOWER":3d09cf0i said:
greenwillowherefords":3d09cf0i said:

I would have taken more of a BB gun with me and put an end to that mess. Mean dogs are bad enough, when they wander on your own property and attack you that is more than enough grounds to send him to his maker.

This is one time I agree with BP.. I use a 270 on dogs . I dont care whos dog it is.

WORANCH":22qpvoc7 said:
BLACKPOWER":22qpvoc7 said:
greenwillowherefords":22qpvoc7 said:

This is one time I agree with BP.. I use a 270 on dogs . I dont care whos dog it is.

BP, count me in on that one also. 30.06 or 00 buckshot is my remedy of choice. No second chances.

Craig-TX

About 14 years ago, I boarded a horse on 40 acres with 12 or 15 other horses. One warm day, I showed up and all the horses were on the far side of the pasture. So I layed down in the pasture for just a moment to enjoy life. Then I woke up with all the horses standing in a circle around me. I have no idea how long I'd been there. As I slowly moved to get up, they all just walked away. I always wondered what their reasoning was.

kjerckie":2b2dy1eg said:
About 14 years ago, I boarded a horse on 40 acres with 12 or 15 other horses. One warm day, I showed up and all the horses were on the far side of the pasture. So I layed down in the pasture for just a moment to enjoy life. Then I woke up with all the horses standing in a circle around me. I have no idea how long I'd been there. As I slowly moved to get up, they all just walked away. I always wondered what their reasoning was.

They were probably wondering the same thing about you

dun

kjerckie":1ap9e416 said:

If you lay there too long you'll have the buzzards around you fussing over who gets your eyes.

Craig-TX

kjerckie":37cc68km said:

Curousity.

BLACKPOWER":3sqtntss said:
greenwillowherefords":3sqtntss said:

Packs of wild dogs kill more calves in this country than wolves, cougars, coyotes, and bears put together.

If my neighbors dog growls at me, my kids, my wife or messes with any animal on my property, it will die.

Ours hate dogs and will run them off - and although we have coyotes in the area (anywhere that doesn't these days?), we have never had a problem with them. Three years ago, when we were moving cattle and sheep, the ram got behind me and knocked me down - hard. I screamed - scared mostly - and the cattle came running. When my husband arrived, sure I was trampled to death, the cows were in a protective circle around me. Pretty cool!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

BP - I think that is the 1st time I actually agree with you! I like my 6mm mag though.

Alison - If that were me that ram would get the same treatment as mentioned above.

Brahmans are protective. I have run behind them a few times to hide, but that has been from a cow with a new calf I got too close to.

But have never had any kind of animal such as a hog or dog out in the pasture threatening me. They don't seem to want to hang around where brahmans are.

Latest posts