Protection from dogs and coyotes?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Do you all think Brangus and Brahman x Hereford cows will do just as well for guards as llamas and donkeys?

I would hope so. I run cattle in an area that has alot of coyotes and I expect the cows to keep the 'yotes off thier calves. I like horned cows for that reason. If a cow loses a calf to a 'yote she goes on the truck. I have seen a bunch of donkeys that were a waste of grass and no help on the dogs, its the cows job. The whole herd should bunch up and run them off.

The best protection I have found is a rifle.Just last week my own blue healer which was 3 yr old had a newborn angus calf down and was mauling it. The other 4 angus first time heifers we're just standing watching. I hated the fact that I had to put him down,but I just won't tolerate a dog like that no mater who owns the dog.

Cal

Take a big pickle jar, put a chicken (fryer) in jar put on the edge of the woods were you think the coyote's are at. When they stick there head in, they get stuck and will not live long. I have seen it done many times.

In louisiana

We have coyotes but have never had a problem with them. I've seen them circle the edge of the field and everyone of those old brangus cows turn and stare right at them until they are gone. All our calves are bigger now so it's not such a worry but when babies are little those old mama's won't let you get very close period.

We use 2 donkeys and a big livestock guardian dog (Look at my avatar). We also use the shotgun for any offenders that are found.

Any strange animal in or around our fields go sleep with the fishes, whether by me or my dog.

When anything gets near the pasture that the cows don;t want, be it vulture, diller, coon, cat, dog, whatever, they circle the calves, a couple stand guard and the rest persue whatever it is. Horns aren;t required, it's the attitude that makes a good "watch cow"

grannysoo":15ngg9ug said:
We use 2 donkeys and a big livestock guardian dog (Look at my avatar). We also use the shotgun for any offenders that are found.

Any strange animal in or around our fields go sleep with the fishes, whether by me or my dog.

I have been asked many times if my donkeys will guard. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. It isn't an automatic thing. They need to be full sized and they need to have the instinct to guard. I have donks that won't let a dog on the place and others that would have never raised their heads from grazing. Also, no intact Jacks, as they will chase calves and kill them if the can. I have a couple of Jennies that really do the job well. I can see them tracking anything unfamiliar and when it gets close enough, they will just strike out at it.

Lammie":1qglz45c said:
grannysoo":1qglz45c said:

I have been asked many times if my donkeys will guard. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. It isn't an automatic thing. They need to be full sized and they need to have the instinct to guard. I have donks that won't let a dog on the place and others that would have never raised their heads from grazing. Also, no intact Jacks, as they will chase calves and kill them if the can. I have a couple of Jennies that really do the job well. I can see them tracking anything unfamiliar and when it gets close enough, they will just strike out at it.

Lammie...well said....all a jack is good for is to raise more donkeys. :lol: Jennies will do a pretty good job.

dun":m9r3zluj said:
When anything gets near the pasture that the cows don;t want, be it vulture, diller, coon, cat, dog, whatever, they circle the calves, a couple stand guard and the rest persue whatever it is. Horns aren;t required, it's the attitude that makes a good "watch cow"

That's how our cattle responded, too.

Latest posts