Protecting your bull from trich?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
When I bought my bull it was agreed pending trich test. After this I got to thinking how do you protect your bull when buying cattle from the auction or bringing in new cows to the herd? Have you tested cows? I have only started off with all heifers and they are not impregnated by my herd bull and my herd bull is negative. Just wondering if there is a precaution some of you take? Buying 1 wrong cow could devastate a herd which is kind of scary. I have been looking at buying cows instead of heifers on the next round. Also renting out a bull would be kinda risky in my opinion.

I had those same concerns, and done something stupid anyway to build numbers. I bought some cows private sale off a farm. Took a chance and got lucky I guess. I recently bought some bred heifers that I'm hoping are clean as well. I think, with some luck, I will no longer have to buy outside cattle other than bulls.

I can't remember the time frame but apparently cows will clear up, bulls won't. With that said, it was recommended to isolate the bull for a certain time period prior to checking him. Idk why, if they don't clear up.

I leased my bull to a farm in Paris, Ky. Lease was for November, December and January. The terms of the lease required only that the bull have passed a BSE. The man, Eddie, who leased him stated he was not concerned about trichomonas.

While on lease, a guy saw the bull and ask Eddie if I wanted to sell him. I said yes. My concern was that the bull be tested for trichomonas and get another BSE. The guy who wanted to buy him said the Paris vet he used had only seen one case of trichomonas in 20 years so he waived the trichomonas test.

Trichomonas is a big issue in Missouri but it seems to get a big yawn in my part of Kentucky.

Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but it's my understanding that if cows are infected they will usually (maybe almost always?) abort early in the pregnancy. So by buying long-bred cows you have less likelihood of trich problems.

Rafter S":2p550q9l said:
Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but it's my understanding that if cows are infected they will usually (maybe almost always?) abort early in the pregnancy. So by buying long-bred cows you have less likelihood of trich problems.

Repeat breeding or infertility of individual cows can last up to 5 months. The reason for the open or late cows is the organism causes the loss of the calf a few weeks into the pregnancy. The majority of infected cows will clear the infection if given 120 to 150 days of sexual rest.

This suggest it occurs early. I know the bull will carry it for life. The protozoan inhabits the sheath and reproductive system.

Till a couple of years ago trich wasn;t a big deal in MO either. I don;t know what changed, all of the drought cattle that were drought in from all over the country maybe. But it's a big deal now. Can;rt see a bull for breeding over a year old without a trich test.

We only buy virgin bulls & have a closed herd but that doesn't mean the neighbors bull won't find his way over.

Evidently not a big deal in KS either until 2013:

The Kansas Dept of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health, has adopted new regulations concerning trichomoniasis. The new regulations went into effect on October 4, 2013

BULLS

Bulls that change possession or ownership within Kansas must meet one of the following criteria:

**Non-virgin bulls or bulls greater than 18 months of age:
****Must be tested for trichomoniasis and certified negative within 60 days prior to change of possession or ownership, OR
****Be sold for slaughter only or for feding for slaughter purposes.

**Virgin bulls 18 months of age or younger may change possession or ownership without a negative trichomoniases test if the owner signs a statement verifying the bulls have not been sexually exposed to breeding aged females.

**Virgin bulls 24 months of age or younger that are part of a herd management plan approved by the animal health commissioner shall not be required to be tested for trichomoniases and certified negative prior to changing possession or ownership.

I buy longbred cows or pairs with young calves. Anything questionable gets penned away from the bulls until I get it figured out. If you stick with stuff that can carry a calf to term you're fairly safe. If you buy bred cows, pen them by themselves and watch them. If one cycles, get rid of her asap as she is your future infection.

Buying females from a place that routinely tests their herd bulls for trich would be a good place to start!

Only buying middle to heavy bred cows is good prevention. If you buy open cows wait 90 ,to 120 days before exposure.

I had a group on a lease pasture come up open a couple months back. I kept seeing the bull work cows that should have been breed. I hauled 8 to be checked all open. I had the other 13 checked all open. I had a young untested bull with them (I'll never do that again) decided it didn't matter what the problem was and didn't have the bull tested.
Everything was in good flesh so everyone went to town. Restocked the pasture with breads fall calvers a couple weeks ago. With the price drop I didn't get hurt to terrible.
I'll never use a untested bull again.
My vet did say most likely the bull was sterile.
Besides his practice he also test the bulls that go through the auction. ...he's never seen a case of trich

Laws are changing pretty fast in most states because Trich is becoming more of an issue. I think a lot of it was when cattle were being shipped everywhere due to drought but no matter how it happened its here and we have to be proactive or risk an entire calf crop. We trich test our herd bulls we have never had one test positive but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Florida doesn't have any laws as far a Trich as yet but if you sell into Alabama, Mississippi or Georgia they have to be Trich tested if they are breeding age. The Alabama BCIA Fall Round Up sale changed its rules this year that all bulls consigned have to be trich tested prior to the sale. I think its a good idea that way when folks purchased a bull from this sale they know they are getting a clean bull. We don't bring in many new cattle but when we do we keep them away from the herd for min of 120 days usually longer. We haven't purchased a bull since 2010, since then we have used bulls we have raised, so unless something jumps a fence we are pretty safe the problem is neighbors that don't test or do much of anything else with their cattle that we have to worry about. Not so much at the main farm, but at the home place one neighbor has cattle that get nothing in the way of herd health and that is a concern for us since we develop our bulls at the home place. One of those times when good fences make good neighbors and we keep our fence really hot!

gizmom

Latest posts