Prospect bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score

This is a bull that I have on my radar as a potential replacement. What do y'all think about him? Give me the good and the bad. He's a balancer about 15 mo old. 71 BW about 700 WW and about 1150 YW.

KR Cattle Co

Reaction score
Is he registered? Mr Smoke n Mirrors Z 34 (only Smoke n Mirrors sire active on Gelbvieh) as only 10 progeny listed. All 2014 calves with 7 of those listed as culled. None of his calves have yearling data listed. If he is out of that bull, and not being a registered calf, I think I would pass him by. There has to be a reason that there are no 2015 or 2016 calves recorded.

OP
S

southernultrablack

Reaction score
KR Cattle Co":s4wiflho said:
Is he registered? Mr Smoke n Mirrors Z 34 (only Smoke n Mirrors sire active on Gelbvieh) as only 10 progeny listed. All 2014 calves with 7 of those listed as culled. None of his calves have yearling data listed. If he is out of that bull, and not being a registered calf, I think I would pass him by. There has to be a reason that there are no 2015 or 2016 calves recorded.
Yes he is registered. His sire is 3G Smoke N' Mirrors. Amgv 986778.

KR Cattle Co

Reaction score
[/quote]
Yes he is registered. His sire is 3G Smoke N' Mirrors. Amgv 986778.[/quote]

I looked 3G Smoke N' Mirrors up. If he is priced right and you like him I would sure give him a try.

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Gators Rule":2a4qlk4e said:
Nice bull. If critiquing, I'd like to see more butt on a 15 month old bull.

I would have to agree. He is a great looking yearling, but could stand to have a slightly better back end. However, that may improve as he ages. I believe that he could improve many herds though. If the price is right, I would recommend buying him.

gizmom

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the breed, but I know what type of cattle I like and I like the bull calf, I love the mamma she is sure nuff soggy.

gizmom

elkwc

Reaction score
gizmom":15p3jmmu said:
I don't know anything about the breed, but I know what type of cattle I like and I like the bull calf, I love the mamma she is sure nuff soggy.

gizmom

+1. I agree

cfpinz

Reaction score
The cow is posed pretty ideal for the picture, the bull not so much. That being said, the sire sure knocked a lot of that cow's rear quarter off.

What's the point of buying a Gelbvieh influenced bull, if it has an angus butt?

Lazy M

Reaction score
Cattle photography must be an art form. I didn't think much of the bull in the first pic, but in the second pic he looks like a bull I'd be very proud to own..

3waycross

Reaction score
He's a nice calf. He does fall of a little in the butt though...and I don't love his head.