Pro's and Con's of Liquid Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":3pafg2b2 said:
Any opinions? Is there really a way around granulated Fertilizers?

Works great.

Just remember you'll need to get a rain soon after application.

That's been the tough part for the past two years. :mad:

Yeah, if you don't mind rusty fences and equipment. That liquid N will sure eat on some metal. Could try anhydrous injection but the meth freaks will walk off with your tanks quicker than a politician can tell a lie.

Jogeephus":2q41fwns said:
Yeah, if you don't mind rusty fences and equipment. That liquid N will sure eat on some metal. Could try anhydrous injection but the meth freaks will walk off with your tanks quicker than a politician can tell a lie.

Yep. There ain't nothing that will green up like anhydrous knifed in the dirt!

No problems with liquid nitrogen drifting here. I also add a herbicide from time to time.

That Terragator can cover some ground too! He can knockout a 100 acre field in less than an hour!

one big advantage is that with liquid is going corn on corn 28% will help break down the old stalks which will in turn release the nitrogen from them so you could actually use a lil less,plus like Mike said adding herbicides to it makes the herbicides work better

I'm using liquid for just about everything now. No dust, can cover more ground, faster. Plants seem to respond faster. Economical. I am on the other side of the fence though. Anhydrous is about the fastest way to damage your soil I can think of. Would not use it if it was given to me.

Anhydrous is about the fastest way to damage your soil I can think of. Would not use it if it was given to me.

Really? I did not know this. I always thought anhydrous was better than all that chlorine and salts in granulated/prilled nitrogen.

Please tell us more.

Brute 23":28mp4obb said:
We always do a liquid fertilizer along with the weed killer also.

I was always told that you spread dry fertilizer when you want to promote root growth and liquid nitrogen when you want leaf. Is that true?

Potash is mainly for healthy roots.

Nitrogen is for top growth. Top growth is always at the expense of the roots.

i dont think so,they all have to convert to nitrate for the plant to use them,liquid nitrogen has partial nitrate in it so you can lose some of it if you get a big rain after you put it on,but that is also why plants do better is because its some of its available for it to use right away

Liquid will rust your equipment.

If you apply it at warm temps, part will volatilize and dissapear.
Best to use it in spring only.

I agree with bluestem. Anhydrous ammonia is not kind to the soil. It creates moisture issues since it is anhydrous, or without water. This drying out of the soil makes it hard and blocky. I have seen it cause wheel tracks quite often. The other side of it is the fact that your squirting this really really cold stuff in the soil and killing off massive amounts of the rhizosphere (bacteria, fungi, protozoa, etc.). The rhizosphere will come back in time but it sure does get set back and that certainly has a big impact on yield. I've learned that taking care of the microorganisms whether it be in the soil or a cows rumen will make a big difference in productivity and subsequently profit.

novaman said "I've learned that taking care of the microorganisms whether it be in the soil or a cows rumen will make a big difference in productivity and subsequently profit."
Thanks novaman. I was going to let my comment die. But you said it all.

Latest posts