Pros and cons of angus

Help Support CattleToday:

The biggest con I know of is my climate. Angus are cold climate cattle and they struggle in the summers here.

A vet discussed all the arguments in this forum and told me it was not so much our heat during the day, but rather when our night time low temps remain at or near 80 degrees.

I don't like my northern neighbor's last two angus bulls because they won't keep off of my place. The one he has now will go to the road and cross his fence, go down the road and come through the two ranches to the south of me. He'll jump cattle guards put down by the gas company and he will jump galvanized gates. He too has a little lead poison now - courtesy of a neighbor to the west of me. Everyone is sick of that bull.

If I lived up north, I may run more angus cows. The ones I have now either came out of heavy breds I bought at the sale, or else acquired in a trade. I calve them in the fall. They winter here just fine.

From http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/ :
Research at Louisiana has indicated that Brangus cows increased their weights during the summer months while Angus cows lost weight, indicating that they were more adapted to coastal climates.

backhoeboogie":2czw32ku said:
The biggest con I know of is my climate. Angus are cold climate cattle and they struggle in the summers here.

A vet discussed all the arguments in this forum and told me it was not so much our heat during the day, but rather when our night time low temps remain at or near 80 degrees.

I don't like my northern neighbor's last two angus bulls because they won't keep off of my place. The one he has now will go to the road and cross his fence, go down the road and come through the two ranches to the south of me. He'll jump cattle guards put down by the gas company and he will jump galvanized gates. He too has a little lead poison now - courtesy of a neighbor to the west of me. Everyone is sick of that bull.

If I lived up north, I may run more angus cows. The ones I have now either came out of heavy breds I bought at the sale, or else acquired in a trade. I calve them in the fall. They winter here just fine.

Research at Louisiana has indicated that Brangus cows increased their weights during the summer months while Angus cows lost weight, indicating that they were more adapted to coastal climates.

Aw, don't you think that's a bit "misleading?" The link is to OK State University, but the information you posted is from the Brangus Association. YOUR opinion is one thing, but to try to pawn this off as being from OK State is not quite kosher, IMO.

Dixieangus":srowffv7 said:
I like Angus with the experience I've had with them but I need to know the pros and cons of the breed....Everyone seems to have them. Why do they seem to bring more money at sales...

Demand!

There does seem to be a preponderance of "funnel butt's" in the population but that can easily be dealt with by shopping around. As to the heat issue, my Angus hung out in the pond just as much as my Brangus. And you could buy from a breeder in your area whose herd has been better acclimated rather than buy directly from a cold weather source.

As to bulls, there are problematic bulls in all breeds. I had Brangus bull that I thought was excellent (given what I spent) except that he jumped the fence a lot to get to the neighbors herd. Finally and reluctantly, got rid of him. Just spend the time to get the best stock your budget can afford.

Now theres the other neighbors Brangus bull jumping into my place now!!! Think I'll round him up and get him running up towards Grand Prairie :nod:

Frankie":3ujxwbm3 said:
backhoeboogie":3ujxwbm3 said:

Aw, don't you think that's a bit "misleading?" The link is to OK State University, but the information you posted is from the Brangus Association. YOUR opinion is one thing, but to try to pawn this off as being from OK State is not quite kosher, IMO.

Go to Breeds of Livestock at the following link: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/

Now pick cattle. Now pick Brangus. Read on down and you'll find the words. They are not my opinion. Eidt: 9th paragraph to be precise.

You are discussing kosher??? :D :D :D :D

I can find you many more links if you want to see them. But first hand knowledge and experience is better than all the words in the world.

We have so many choices in the Angus breed,the thing I would think about is what type will fit your enviroment, management,and goals.I'm sure most of you have heard this before but the saying goes their is as much difference within breeds as between them.

EAT BEEF":1w23cx3q said:
We have so many choices in the Angus breed,the thing I would think about is what type will fit your enviroment, management,and goals.I'm sure most of you have heard this before but the saying goes their is as much difference within breeds as between them.

You are right. The smaller framed short haired slick ones are much better than the fuzzy big ones in this climate. They do winter quite well.

Our local tv news station must have had a slow day yesterday because they picked up a story off the ap about a bull that got out of a trailer and was running around in a neighborhood in some town in Texas. From the video they showed it sure looked like a black Angus. Wasn't even a good looking bull, weak topline, pinched in the girth with a funnel butt and post legged. :D The owner said it was the 2nd time the bull had gotten loose that week. Hope your neighbor hasn't gotten a new bull backhoebuggie. :lol:

backhoeboogie":19bn0u14 said:
EAT BEEF":19bn0u14 said:

You are right. The smaller framed short haired slick ones are much better than the fuzzy big ones in this climate. They do winter quite well.

If you think you need some ear I bet you do.I just think we can get hung up on this or that breed when it might have more to do with the breeding than the breed.A pro to me could be a con to you or the other way around.

I didnt read through everyones comments so if its already been said just ignore mine.. The first and biggest pro in my opinion is the genetic pool. No other breed is going to come remotely close on the size of the genetic pool to choose from. Secondly i would say carcass quality and homozygous black coat color.
Cons ... Harder to find THICK angus today, but there are some out there. If your not in the seedstock business the best animals are still your crossbreds. Do the research and learn about breeding options then take the best from 2 or 3 breeds.

EAT BEEF":186tmpum said:
A pro to me could be a con to you or the other way around.

Read back through this thread and you see all pro. Talk to a long time old cattleman who lives in the climate you are going to raise cattle in. There are a lot of horse traders in this business.

The link I offered has some pro for angus vs brangus too. In the same paragraph.

Brangus do just fine in my climate and they are 5/8 angus. Think about that.

This thread asked for pro and con. I offered both. Provided a link from OSU that has both. I also said that if I lived in a cooler climate I might run more of them by choice.

If they work for you in your climate and you like them, perhaps you'll make a lot of nickels on them. The few I have calve in the fall and the calves are okay. They wean very light calves if I calve in the spring. That is not opinion. :D

Read back through this thread and you see all pro. Talk to a long time old cattleman who lives in the climate you are going to raise cattle in. There are a lot of horse traders in this business.

The link I offered has some pro for angus vs brangus too. In the same paragraph.

Brangus do just fine in my climate and they are 5/8 angus. Think about that.

This thread asked for pro and con. I offered both. Provided a link from OSU that has both. I also said that if I lived in a cooler climate I might run more of them by choice.

If they work for you in your climate and you like them, perhaps you'll make a lot of nickels on them. The few I have calve in the fall and the calves are okay. They wean very light calves if I calve in the spring. That is not opinion.

:? Buddy I'm not trying to sell you anything.What I was trying to say is that all breeds have good and bad and it's not so much the breed it's the type and there are a lot of types of angus.

Looking back at my first post it does look like a plug for Angus I guess ,not really my intention,Also I wasn't responding to your post above mine.If it was I would have quoted you.

Latest posts