Pro's and Con's 308 vs 30/06

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm looking a buying a 308, I have a 30/06. As you can tell I know little about guns. What are some of the pro's and con's on a 308 vs a 30/06.

Thanks,
Alan

The question is why do you want another 30 cal that doesn't do as much as the one you already have.

What are you going to use it for that you can't use the 30-06?

3waycross":16ktjp1i said:
The question is why do you want another 30 cal that doesn't do as much as the one you already have.

What are you going to use it for that you can't use the 30-06?

Good question, but like I said I know very little about guns (caliber) so I'll answer your question after my question gets answered.... not looking or trouble, just want to be educated on my question.

thanks,
Alan

The only advantage ther 308 has over the 06 is that it takes a little less poweder to reload and will fit a shorter action. But it's very little less powder and very little shorter. If you have an 06 you really don;t need a 308 and vice versa. Supposedly the 308 is "inherently more accurate". Unless you have bench rest quality firearms and shooting skills the differnce won;t be seen by 99.9% of the shooters in the world

There's not that much to say.

It does less.

With less.

It really does matter what you want to do with it that your 30-06 doesn't already do.

Now if you just want one that's a different story. Think about it long enuf and you will turn a want into a need. Then you buy it cuz you need it so bad you can't live without it.

Pro's and Con's?

30/06 is more gun. More power, more range, more recoil.

Since I had my shoulders worked on a few years ago, I don't want nothing (absolutely nuthin!) to do with a 30/06. If I fire a few shots on one of them today, I pay for it for days to come.

.308 doesn't do me like that. It's an all around good gun, just is much better on my body.

All you need to do to make a 30-06 into a 308 is use less powder. Really can't think of any advantage of a 308 over a 06 other then the recoil.
Still the 308 is plenty enough gun for game up to the size of, say an Elk.

It really does depend on what you want to use it for. Otherwise, little difference.

"For Gunny Hathcock's fans, he took the 1000 yard match at Camp Perry in 65 with a 300 mag, scoped bolt gun. The day before this he got a sliver metal for the National Match course with a M1 (30-06) also went distinguished with that match. In RVN he used a 30-06 on his first tour and a 308 on his second. "

I have the 308 in a 20 shot AR15, with 24" bull barrel. Doubt I could find the same set-up in a 30/06 but then, wasn't thinking about shooting deer or elk.

Alan, I have shot both deer and elk with both guns. I see no noticable difference. With factory loads the 308 is about 100 fps slower than the '06. That gives the '06 a little more range but not significantly more. Actually my 308 kicks harder but that is because the gun in a lot lighter. The felt recoil in these two calibers in probably not going to be significantly different if you had them in the exact same rifle.

Dun stated it well, but I like the old 06, but better yet 270 is easiery on the shoulder...Remenber a well placed shot will always trump a larger cal...

alftn":1iaq5dis said:
Dun stated it well, but I like the old 06, but better yet 270 is easiery on the shoulder...Remenber a well placed shot will always trump a larger cal...

Don't ask me why but seems the only time I really ever feel the recoil from my 30-06 is when sighting it in. When actually shooting at deer etc. I never seem to feel it.

TexasBred":2snhhq09 said:
alftn":2snhhq09 said:

Don't ask me why but seems the only time I really ever feel the recoil from my 30-06 is when sighting it in. When actually shooting at deer etc. I never seem to feel it.

Adrenalin :shock:

I pretty sure that the M-1 Grands (is that right ) were 30-06 to start, later chamber for nato 308 ... M14 were all 308..The bolt actions of ww1 were springfield 30-06 i think... Been awhile since I messed with Military rifles..

alftn":m0qmkmvm said:
I pretty sure that the M-1 Grands (is that right ) were 30-06 to start, later chamber for nato 308 ... M14 were all 308..The bolt actions of ww1 were springfield 30-06 i think... Been awhile since I messed with Military rifles..
Garands started out as .30-06 then they converted some of them by putting an insert in the chamber so that .308 Winchester (7.62 Nato/7.62X51) could be used. Later the insert was done away with and most of the .30-06 versions were rebarreled to .308 Winchester (7.62 Nato/7.62X51). M14 was always .308 Winchester (7.62 Nato/7.62X51)

30-06 is enuff for NW Oregon dont ya think?? Unless you need something for that piece of desolation between Burns, OR and Bend?-- then the 308 may be necessary...............
Ed

Man should own three guns a 12 gauge a 22LR and a 30-06. No matter where you go you can find ammo and you can hunt anything on North America with the three.

Caustic Burno":3912w3x6 said:
Man should own three guns a 12 gauge a 22LR and a 30-06. No matter where you go you can find ammo and you can hunt anything on North America with the three.

That's funny cuz for most of my life that's exactly what I owned. Then about 8 or 9 years ago when I turned 50 I got more serious about shooting and let's just say the gunsafe is pretty full , and maybe a closet or two also.

Latest posts