Property taxes

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I received a letter from the county tax appraisal stating due to the " metal home" I built my taxes more than doubled.

The problem is the so called metal home they have valued at about 5 times what I paid for it.
I did finish it out on the inside, but it doesn't even have a bathroom.
It is at best a place to get out of the weather as long as the weather isn't too harsh.

I went and talked to them and they claim they plug in the sq ft and construction material whether it be metal, brick and etc. and that determines the value.

As is 5 years of taxes will equal the purchase price so essentially I'm buying it every 5 years.

I feel like the only solution is to tear it down.
Maybe get an appraisal on it and hope they'll accept it
I'm really trying to stay cool but I feel like going in chewing some ass tell them I'll take the appraised value and write a check

Cross-7":m002axr3 said:
I received a letter from the county tax appraisal stating due to the " metal home" I built my taxes more than doubled.

The problem is the so called metal home they have valued at about 5 times what I paid for it.
It is at best a place to get out of the weather as long as the weather isn't too harsh.

I went and talked to them and they claim they plug in the sq ft and construction material whether it be metal, brick and etc. and that determines the value.

As is 5 years of taxes will equal the purchase price so essentially I'm buying it every 5 years.

I'm really trying to stay cool but I feel like going in chewing some be nice tell them I'll take the appraised value and write a check

The pva office here will "sometimes" give in if you go talk to them. They didn't for me, I know a sprinkling of people have had success.

Cross-7":39ocuszq said:

I'm really trying to stay cool but I feel like going in chewing some be nice tell them I'll take the appraised value and write a check
Cross they are suppose to give you a realistic appraisal of the true market value of the house and land. A legitimate appraisal is something that can actually be defended in a court of law, not just a guess. Don't know if it would be worth the price of an attorney but they also should not just pull some number out of the air and plug it in. There is not a "one value fits all" especially real estate.

TexasBred":35n4bcxe said:
Cross-7":35n4bcxe said:

Cross they are suppose to give you a realistic appraisal of the true market value of the house and land. A legitimate appraisal is something that can actually be defended in a court of law, not just a guess. Don't know if it would be worth the price of an attorney but they also should not just pull some number out of the air and plug it in. There is not a "one value fits all" especially real estate.
This is how I understand it as well. You can file an appeal but there's usually a deadline. In your case, it sounds like it would be well worth the cost of a real appraisal.

That really stinks. When my neighbor first moved in, they had just bare land with no fences/pastures/etc. The municipality considered this to be residential and not agricultural and really socked it to him taxes wise ($4,800/year on 20 acres and a house). He went in and talked to them about it and they told him sorry, they only appraise once a year and his first appraisal counted, so he was stuck paying $400/month on his property. The next year they changed it to agricultural so it was about 1/4 of that, but the first year was awful for them. I hope you have better luck than he had.

Appeal the assessment. A fair market appraisal will be needed in preparation for the appeal.

They are applying a uniform method of assessment but your structure is clearly not getting a real assessment using their model. I would not get an attorney until you need one. I would meet with a real estate attorney for a quote. During that meeting, you will get some free counsel. If you like the attorney, then you can use him if it comes to that.

This type of stuff, my wife is really good at. I am not. I would have a meltdown about 2 seconds after entering their office and them saying sorry, it is what it is. I feel my ears turning red just reading of your misfortune.

I'm taking receipts by there to show actual cost.
Another thing I didn't mention was a shipping container to lock up utv/atv, tools and etc while I'm away.
They valued it at 3750.00 and I paid 2500.00
I'm hoping with receipts they will lower the value

Cross-7":1fafooxf said:
I'm taking receipts by there to show actual cost.

I'm hoping with receipts they will lower the value
Don't bet on that helping with the person at the counter. They don't care what you paid for it..just what it is valued at. And you don't need to mention the interior at all. That will hurt more than help if your county considers the interiors. (They don't here)

M-5":1knfqeyv said:
do you already have a homestead exemption ???

No it's not really a house. I just spend a few nighs there a week when I'm working in the area. I have a house in Texas homesteaded.

How much money is involved? Property tax rates are generally less than 1%. By your description, if your building was appraised at $25,000 and your county is a 1% tax rate that is $250 per year. It would take a 100 years for them to collect taxes equal to the valuation of the building.

Good luck getting them to fix it. They need the money to pay for all the services they provide you.

I'd definitely appeal it. I'd make the county appraiser come to the site and appraise in on site. May not help any because they like their little formulas. I bought some land for $275/acre and I got a tax bill saying it was worth $1800. I argued this and the sale was a legitimate fair market purchase but they said what I paid for it didn't matter but the results from their formula is what mattered. They said this was based on comparable sales. Next thing I know they are using my property in their comparable sales list only listing it as though I paid $1800/acre for the property. I don't play cards but I've heard a good card player can rig a deck and I think this is what they are doing.

this is why i'm paying for the 3/4 mile lane hiding all my buildings.. haha

ddd75":30f9ws8v said:
this is why i'm paying for the 3/4 mile lane hiding all my buildings.. haha

Thanks to Google you aren't hiding anything. This is why I am and advocate of bunkers! :lol2:

North Carolina is the worst state for over-inflated appraisals. They only appraise once every ten years. My appraisal was in 2007. NO appeal - state law.

M-5":12y49rmj said:
Before Google they flew planes every few yrs

Same here, but my county is small enough they probably ariel appraise it every year--that, or they're looking for marijuana fields... :hide: ..and, for many rural areas, including here, the most recent GoogleEarth pics are several years old.

Latest posts