property tax

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medic24":2l4zip99 said:
TIME OUT everyone!......Truce......... Why can't we all just get along together? (Rodney King) Now there is a man who screwed the taxpayers to the tune of several million dollars. if you ever wondered what happens to your hard earned taxes.... folks like that get a piece of it regularly! :x

I would let any cop tazer and beat me a bit for that kinda money! 8)
Medic24, you haven't been involved in this conversation so call your truce with your wife.
If 9ER wants to make trouble he might ought to go to another board to do it.
This is a board for Cattlemen and Cattlemens discussions.

9ER --- I don't remember the exact wording of the original post regarding "grants" from a few weeks ago but, as I recall, it was something to the effect of a young lady (named Earl ??) inquiring about a grant to essentially set herself up in the cattle business "from the get go" so to speak. I believe Earl's idea was viewed as being unacceptable by most of the members (myself included, though I kept quiet) that posted in response and it apparently really annoyed them to read about someone essentially asking for a government freebie to start the business. I'd venture to say that virtually all of us worked our way up from the bottom in this business; probably most of us worked long and hard in some other profession, accumulated some capital and then invested that capital and long hours of sweat equity to become cattlemen and women, and most of us are still part-timers. A few of us, such as Jake from Kansas, were born to the ranch life and no doubt have large amounts of sweat equity invested, if not hard, cold cash.

After 8 or 9 years of struggling along I did receive a small drought assistance payment with respect to cattle a few years ago. I've also got a cost share contract for a brush eradication project in connection with the EQIP program. (But, on the other hand, the feds haven't paid me anything for infringing upon my rights and effecting a governmental "taking" by classifying part of my property as a "wetland". ) In addition, I know that a helluva lot of stock tanks were dug in ranch country with some government cost share assistance. But I sure don't view the aforementioned assistance programs the same way as I do an outright "grant" to someone just starting out, someone that had not already made a substantial investment in time and/or money. Do you not see a significant distinction? I'd bet that most of the earlier posters feel as I do in this regard --- if not, well I guess they would consider me to be a deadbeat as well.

Regarding property taxes, I'd say thats one the most significant issues of to farmers and ranchers, and apparently pretty emotionally charged for some urbanites! :) But do you really believe all agricultural land should be taxed based on its speculative value rather than its agricultural use value? However ineloquently worded they were, do you not believe there is some merit to the reasons TUCO listed in support of taxation of agricultural land based on its actual ag value?

Arnold, I do believe that ranchers and farmers should get a break. I'm glad they do. I'm even jealous that I cant enjoy the benifits yet. I was glad and I appreciated when my dad got help when he had a couple hundred head. Most of people here misunderstand my thoughts on this eventhough I keep stating them.

It just fustrates me when people act like they are all high and mighty who never had any kind of help or assistance and when someone doesnt agree with my opinion they immediatly bash me as a teacher. I'm not gonna let anyone talk down to me. I dont believe that I ever said anything negative to anybody on this board without being prevoked. If I did I would like to know.

You have tried to help me personally and I thank you again and the others that have answered my questions as well. I'm just saying that some need to get off their high horse(cow) a little. I may have only 4 cows at the moment, but that doesnt make me or anyone else that is a "hobby rancher" any less of a cattleman. A carpenter is a carpenter just like a teacher is a teacher. I do not have the knowledge as most yet, but I enjoy my cows and I'm in it for the long haul.

9 ER":3r9519ax said:
I may have only 4 cows at the moment, but that doesnt make me or anyone else that is a "hobby rancher" any less of a cattleman.
Yes, it does. Actually, it makes you not a cattleman. Sorry. :(

9 ER, take a deep breath, go back and read your original post. You said:

9 ER":2ydnz0m3 said:
Do I have to pay more in property taxes to make up for the folks that are exempt and dont have to pay any?

First, it's pretty obvious that your picking scabs to begin with. Second, all ag land owners pay taxes. If your dad owned 200 head you would know that.

Later you said:

You are taking money out of peoples pockets.

That's an incorrect and ignorant accusation.

You also said:

please explain it to me the best you can.

I pointed out that your accusation was incorrect and ignorant. I explained it the best I could.

Then you accused ranchers, myself included, of dodging taxes and called us some obscene name.

Then you repeated the bogus accusation when you said

Craig and anyone else who does not pay a property tax

Then you dodged my question. We still don't know what you teach. All we know is that you don't own any land or you would know better than to make the accusations you make.

Then you whined at TUCO. And then you accused me of thinking I'm God. Then you said:

You sure come on strong when you're sitting behind a computer. I wonder if you would run your mouth the same way if I was standing in front of you?

Why not? Was that supposed to be intimidating? To my knowledge you've never even said on here whether you're a man or a woman. Of course you could be anything, no way for anybody to know what anybody else is. For all we know you could be a hermaphrodite sibling of GP's.

Now coach, go ahead and pitch another hissy fit. It adds to your burgeoning credibility. Plus, it's funny. And it's real intimidating.

Craig-TX

9 ER":l7lsjtbd said:
I wonder if you would run your mouth the same way if I was standing in front of you?

Not my fight .... but you have bloodied your nose all by yourself.

I hope this doesn't carry over into tomorrow for the children's sake.

I could be wrong, but the only ones "exempt" from paying property taxes are non-profit organizations. ie: churches, etc.

Folks that are producing a commodity, like cotton, corn, beef, chicken, etc. have an "ag exemption" on their taxes. This doesn't mean they are exempt from paying taxes, simply the land values are less than for say, a house on 2 acres.

This is fixin' to be changed in some parts of Texas, and I suspect most of Texas before too many more years. The government has determined that it is losing a LOT of $$ to developers and land speculators that are wealthy, and holding land for an investment and paying little or no taxes because they have five cows on the property. In the near future they'll develop the land and make a fortune.

Texan":isuja3rw said:
9 ER":isuja3rw said:
I may have only 4 cows at the moment, but that doesnt make me or anyone else that is a "hobby rancher" any less of a cattleman.
Yes, it does. Actually, it makes you not a cattleman. Sorry. :(

I agree that farmers and ranchers for the most part should recieve some breaks when it comes to land taxes and such. I was raised in a family whose sole income was from the farm (hogs and cattle) and I don't think we could have made it if my dad would've had to pay the same amount of land taxes for our 335 acres in the country as someone who owned that same amount in the city.

However, telling someone that just because they only own 4 cows that they are not a cattleman, might be a misguided assumption in my opinion. I only own 4 cows for now, and only about 6 acres myself, am I not a farmer? I am still a regular on my dad's farm. He has gotten out of hogs and has a part time job, along with my mom working full time, but still runs about 75 brood cows and that does make me a farmer, albeit part time. I don't know about Texas, but in MO you would be hard pressed to find a family who makes there sole income from farming. Those people are few and far between anymore.

Texan, that's your opinion and you're entilted to it. Could you please define a cattleman for me?

Craig, Yes I do own land. Why is what I teach important? What do you do? Where do you live? What is your address? If you want to get personal, we can. I wasnt talking to others I was talking to YOU! You have diarrea of the mouth. My opinion of you will not change. You have no class or character and you are a poor excuse for rancher.
Are you still upset about your impotence? Does you picturing me as hermaphrodite turn you on? If that's what it takes for you to get it up, you can think of me however you want. Just take it easy on the cows or goats or whichever animals you use to satify for needs.

Wewild, nice of you to chime in. Load up the bandwagon.

TheBullLady":39wks0os said:
I could be wrong, but the only ones "exempt" from paying property taxes are non-profit organizations. ie: churches, etc.

Folks that are producing a commodity, like cotton, corn, beef, chicken, etc. have an "ag exemption" on their taxes. This doesn't mean they are exempt from paying taxes, simply the land values are less than for say, a house on 2 acres.

This is fixin' to be changed in some parts of Texas, and I suspect most of Texas before too many more years. The government has determined that it is losing a LOT of $$ to developers and land speculators that are wealthy, and holding land for an investment and paying little or no taxes because they have five cows on the property. In the near future they'll develop the land and make a fortune.

And foreigner that work over here while getting an education. 9 ER go away. Looking at the time stamps what were you doing writing during shcool hours. Obviously not teaching, and for the most part not learning. 4 cows and you think you are GOD and everything. You are right we chose our professions. I chose teaching for a little while. Ag. Science. Now I ranch and loaf. Craig chose his, you chose yours so stick with it. Go to a coaches board and talk. Remebering back thats all coaches do is talk. Talk, talk ,talk. Free advise for you , you can take it or leave it. Do a little moe listening asking and leanig about something befor you spout off about it. And I promise it will pay dividens.

Scotty

9 ER":22xwn6iy said:
Texan, that's your opinion and you're entilted to it.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Even YOU.
Craig, You have no class or character and you are a poor excuse for rancher.
That is funny, All three of the folks you mentioned in your last post are folks that I would like to someday meet. Maybe I could see just how bad of a rancher Craig really is. Going out to visit Brother Caustic here shortly, might have to look up some of them other "Texans" that you despise so much.
Wewild, nice of you to chime in. Load up the bandwagon.
Load right up Wewild. You chime in when necessary, that's good. You are an asset to these boards!!!

9er...how much land do you own? I've got neighbors on 5 acre lots whom are recieving ag exemptions on their property. Where I live, we have to claim 1 acre for a homestead, taxed at the full amount, including the house, and then recieve a reduced rate on the remaining acres. No one is exempt from paying property taxes, we just recieve a reduced rate, mainly for some of the reasons Tuco stated, and also because I believe the county wants to keep the rural atmosphere as long as possible, instead of the multi-home subdivisions that surrounding cities have. Maybe I am lucky to live in a town like that, as all new homes must have a minimum 5 acre lot size.

eric":10hzrnrh said:
9er...how much land do you own? I've got neighbors on 5 acre lots whom are recieving ag exemptions on their property. Where I live, we have to claim 1 acre for a homestead, taxed at the full amount, including the house, and then recieve a reduced rate on the remaining acres. No one is exempt from paying property taxes, we just recieve a reduced rate, mainly for some of the reasons Tuco stated, and also because I believe the county wants to keep the rural atmosphere as long as possible, instead of the multi-home subdivisions that surrounding cities have. Maybe I am lucky to live in a town like that, as all new homes must have a minimum 5 acre lot size.

Same here. I've got a 10 acre lot that my house sits on. They tax me FULL on one acre and the house, and give me a break on the other 9 for grazing. But to accomplish this wasn't easy. I had to show documentation of a bona fide "for profit" operation including leases for other pastures. My 9 I claim is for "rotational" purposes.

D.R. --- That 9 acre "home place" sounds like a good spot to grow out a few heifers that perhaps need some supplemental feed (that the cows don't need) or that you want to have daily contact with in order to get them real gentle, etc.

Eric, I have a little over 5 acres. The only way to get an exemption(reduction...but it's actually called an exemption here) is if the land was grandfathered in with other land that was already exempt.

I'm done guys and galls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts