Proper use of a grapple

Help Support CattleToday:

I've watched Neil's videos from Messick's for years. Always have enjoyed them.

Fence, I agree 100%, but it's nice to have an understanding of when one of those pins or hoses might give up. The operator might be able to work around some things without breaking the hardware.

I had a chance to purchase a fairly new tractor at a deeply discounted price because the new owner was playing with his grapple and had no counter weight on the back of his tractor. Being on three legs gave him the hee-bee-jeebies and decided to sell!

Thanks for the video, I just took delivery of my new Case 120C and got a 6ft grapple with it and I LOVE it. It is productive!

Thanks for the video, I just took delivery of my new Case 120C and got a 6ft grapple with it and I LOVE it. It is productive!

Being new to the use of a grapple be aware of the need for some counter weight when using it. Having loaded tires helps a bunch, but sometimes more weight on the back is needed. Be careful.

Being new to the use of a grapple be aware of the need for some counter weight when using it. Having loaded tires helps a bunch, but sometimes more weight on the back is needed. Be careful.
Thanks for the warning, I do have water in tires as well as wheel weights.

Grapples are real hard on skid steer tires. They throw the weigh balance all off so all 4 wheels carry weight and scrub hard.

I have done just about everything he says not to and haven't hurt a hose. Have broken several sets of pins, which may be related. I have gone through and replaced all of them with grade 8 bolts and some 4140 round stock that I had turned down and threaded.

The amount of clearing a competent guy can do with one of those on a skid steer is pretty amazing.

Ya in playing with my new toy I have found that you can make short work of a lot of things. Used to use hay forks and that worked to a point but WOW grapple is the shiz nix!

Latest posts