Proper Creep Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

JoshuaMLewis

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some embryo calves that were just born this year. They are high-dollar stuff. I am going to put them on creep to realize their full genetic potential. However, I don't want to get the heifers too fat where it hurts their milking ability. What are you feeding as far as creep goes and how much? Do you give a feed with a self-limiter? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JoshuaMLewis":2zcchtax said:
Hello,

I have some embryo calves that were just born this year. They are high-dollar stuff. I am going to put them on creep to realize their full genetic potential. However, I don't want to get the heifers too fat where it hurts their milking ability. What are you feeding as far as creep goes and how much? Do you give a feed with a self-limiter? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I quit creep feeding about 3 or 4 years ago,IMO poor doin calves become expensive poor doin calves on feed, and good growing calves will grow good anyway. If you have grass let them graze along side their mother till their about 600 lb or so. They will make better cows if you keep the corn out of them IMO.
Don't mean to discourage you from creep feeding.....if your mind is set on it then by all means step in to the water..

I would normally say don't feed them. But since it is a little project and the calves future is in the hands of a recip cow that could make or break the calf.
prob the way I would look at it is make sure the cows eat good and right, maybe protein tubs etc.
If you do put out creep feed make sure it is a higher fiber diet, not just grain and protein. They aren't in a feedlot so don't feed them like they are.