Propane heat questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting in either a ventless gas log or one of those small heaters to heat a 30x40 workshop. Our whole house is heated by a ventless fireplace all winter, it takes maybe a little more than one full 500 gal. tank each winter, workshop will be used far less.

I'm wondering if I can get by with one of those 100 gallon stand up units outside because I will have trouble locating a large tank in the yard. Are there any regulations on how far from the building I need to put it? I will need to take it to get it refilled so that would be an issue as far as unbolting it I guess. I have a lean-to on the side of the workshop that I could put a small 250 gallon or so tank, not sure I can put it under a roof though?

thoughts?

Kell-inKY":zk4zd7l6 said:
I'm thinking of putting in either a ventless gas log or one of those small heaters to heat a 30x40 workshop. Our whole house is heated by a ventless fireplace all winter, it takes maybe a little more than one full 500 gal. tank each winter, workshop will be used far less.

I'm wondering if I can get by with one of those 100 gallon stand up units outside because I will have trouble locating a large tank in the yard. Are there any regulations on how far from the building I need to put it? I will need to take it to get it refilled so that would be an issue as far as unbolting it I guess. I have a lean-to on the side of the workshop that I could put a small 250 gallon or so tank, not sure I can put it under a roof though?

thoughts?

kell, One thing you do need to consider is height of the workshop. it also depends on how warm you want the workshop because depending on the height you got a lot of space that will be heated before you may feel it where you are working. The questions about about regulations you would need to find out from your local govt building inspection is who controls that stuff here. I personally don't know of a reason why it couldn't be put under a shed. In spaces like you are speaking of I opt for the torpedo heater it heats the place up quick and you can focus it on a specific area if you like. Those things are hot and really force the heat out if I have to fix something outside in the winter I cut it on and face it where im working and can take off my coats and wear short sleeves. I don't know what propane cost there but id look into a torpedo heater. I have a propane heater that's like a big barrel where you ignite the propane and it comes up through the metal casing and top. I am not sure what its called but its where I clean my deer in a 16x16x12 shed and you will sweat in there.

skyhightree1, thanks for the input.
It has a 9' or 10' ceiling and we have bunks and a full bathroom in there, so we were thinking something more like gas logs because the boys have friends over and stay out there occasionally. They were freezing at night because nobody wants to get up and put more wood in the stove, and I don't like running a small electric heater to keep the pipes from freezing because it's impossible to drain all the water the way it's setup now. So, I'm pretty committed to gas logs probably.

Only thing is, the walls are not insulated, it's metal outside, with chipboard inside. For a workshop, I think that's probably fine though, I think..... guess I could get some blown in if needed?

I used a 5 brick wall mounted heater to heat a 12x18x8. I used the 25 lb tanks at first then went to a 100 lb. It wasn't too much of a hassle. It did use more propane than I thought it would though. I'd recommend buying a new tank or one that is only a couple years old. They do watch those inspection dates a lot closer on the bigger tanks.

Kell-inKY":22xrhher said:
skyhightree1, thanks for the input.
It has a 9' or 10' ceiling and we have bunks and a full bathroom in there, so we were thinking something more like gas logs because the boys have friends over and stay out there occasionally. They were freezing at night because nobody wants to get up and put more wood in the stove, and I don't like running a small electric heater to keep the pipes from freezing because it's impossible to drain all the water the way it's setup now. So, I'm pretty committed to gas logs probably.

Only thing is, the walls are not insulated, it's metal outside, with chipboard inside. For a workshop, I think that's probably fine though, I think..... guess I could get some blown in if needed?

I gotcha I think you will be using a lot of propane since no real insulation. One option is adding walls and insulation and just running a space heater in the room they sleep.

I've got one of the torpedo type heaters that runs off of propane I use in a small closed in shop area. But for the big shop I have a multifuel one, runs on diesel or kerosene. The main difference I;ve found is the propane one are odorless while the fuel burning ones always have a little burnt fuel smell in the air.

Kell-inKY":2zf8ozhi said:

thoughts?

This is the best shop option I have found only complaint is it is noisy.
This is not for an air tight shop.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... wAodgI4CNQ

Anything ventless will put a lot of water into the air. If your shop isn't insulated the water will condense on the walls and ceiling. It can rain as the water drips from the roof in extreme cases.

Latest posts