Propane cutting torch

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I have a propane cutting torch that goes through quite a bit of oxygen.. What kind of pressure should I be running on the oxygen and propane?

Thanks,

Fly-guy

Propane will always use lots of oxygen if you're comparing it to acetylene.

Mixture ratio should be about 4.3 parts oxygen to 1 part propane.

Pressures are entirely dependant on design of your torch.

Compare that to Acetylene where the mixture ratio is about 1.2 parts oxygen to 1 part acetylene.

If you are cutting you will go through alot of oxygen. The lever that you push to do the actual cutting after preheat sends a stream of pure oxygen thru the center of the torch. The amount of pressure you should use there is dependant on the thickness of the metal your cutting.

If your just welding like was stated, it's a function of fuel/oxygen mix.

I'm not real sure on the propane, but on an oxygen/acetylene rig I usually run 20 psi on the oxygen and around 5 psi on the acetylene.

Thanks for the response everyone. I checked this evening and I am running 180 psi on the oxygen and 85 psi on the propane.
Is there anyone else out there using propane and if so, what kind of pressure are you running?

You don't suppose that is why I am going through so much oxygen now do you? That is kind of a dumb question isn't it? I may eventually change over to acetylene!

Thanks again,

Fly-guy

See if you can find a victor torch owners manual. It has tables in it for the tips. Most people run to much pressure when using act. and oxy. I think for instance when using a number 3 cutting tip you need the pressure the same as the tip size plus what every it takes to open the regulator on the oxygen. Also the pressure on the act. needs to be adjusted the same. Most of the time the pressure will be 10 lbs on each one. Light the torch and increase the act. volume until the flame leaves the tip of the cutting tip then back up until there is no gap between the tip and flame. Now turn on the oxygen until the flame burns blue and clean. Now open the lever to cut and adjust the oxygen until it is blue. Preheat across the cut to take any chill off of the metal move back and start your cut.
I know some of you guys that use a torch will not agree with me, but try it it may work. Might try the propane and oxygen the same way it might just work.

Are you reading the correct guages, or correctly reading the guages?

Oxygen shouldn't be run at over 40psi, and while I'm not sure on the propane, Accetelyne should NEVER be run over 28psi, as it becomes unstable at evcessive pressures.

Sounds like you may have your regulators cranked up a wee bit high.

And as has been mentioned, you will always use more Oxy than Fuel.

<///><

Fly-guy":3ti2mz4e said:
Thanks for the response everyone. I checked this evening and I am running 180 psi on the oxygen and 85 psi on the propane.
Is there anyone else out there using propane and if so, what kind of pressure are you running?

You don't suppose that is why I am going through so much oxygen now do you? That is kind of a dumb question isn't it? I may eventually change over to acetylene!

Thanks again,

Fly-guy

You shouldn't be anywhere near those pressures at all.

Are you sure you're reading your guages correctly? There will be bottle pressure and working pressure.
If your oxygen working pressure is over 40psi you've probably got something screwed up. Propane will always be significantly lower pressure than oxygen.

Try something in neighborhood of 30-35psi for your oxygen and 5-10psi for your propane. It might not be perfect for your torch but at least this way you aren't gonna blow something up.

What type of tip and brand torch are you using?

Woops - I have been reading the regulator wrong. Curse the metric system and those that are trying convert old, fat and ugly people like me to it.

I've been running 26psi on the oxygen and 12psi on the propane. The torch is a proline with a two piece propane tip.

Thanks for all of the advise, if nothing else, I've learned how to read the regulators correctly.

Sounds like you're in the ballpark with your torch then.

You might be able to get a bit better flame toying with the pressures but it just requires a feel for the torch that comes with experience.

Propane is touchier than running an acetylene torch and it burns more oxygen in relation to ammount of fuel burnt.

It ends up being cheaper to operate though when compared to running a similar acetylene rig you just can't do some of the more precise welding and cutting that's possible with acetylene.

Make sure your tip stays clean.

Latest posts