Propane conversion

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many gallons of propane equal 1 pound, or vice versa, how many pounds of propane equal 1 gallon?

Trying to figure out how much propane a heater will use if it says it will burn 1.6 lbs in so many hours. How many gallons would that be?

Around here they fill propane cylinders by weight. 5.7-6 gallons is 20 lbs.

dun

dun":1leww07z said:

dun

That would mean 1 gallon would weigh around 3.5 lbs? We are tring to figure out if it would be cheaper to use propane or kerosene to run a heater in a small building.

TXBobcat":5evfga7o said:
dun":5evfga7o said:

dun

That would mean 1 gallon would weigh around 3.5 lbs? We are tring to figure out if it would be cheaper to use propane or kerosene to run a heater in a small building.

Then you need to look at BTUs

dun

Got out my handy dandly Pocket Ref book, which I think everyone should have. Has just about everything in there engineering and scientific wise, all fitting in your shirt pocket.

Propane - 2.531/Mcf(thousands of cubic feet) Million Btu/Unit and .5065 Aval Btu/unit, 78% efficient

Kerosene - .1308/gallon Million Btu/Unit and 9.556Aval Btu/unit, 80% efficient

heat cost formula - multiply Aval Btu/unit by current cost per unit. If Propane costs $4 per Mcf, the cost of 1 million Btu is $4 times .5065.

The Million Btu/unit stands for the amount if the fuel was 100% effecient.

cattle_gal":3jmm7sn4 said:
Got out my handy dandly Pocket Ref book
Very good little book. I even bought them for my friends so they wouldn't be borrowing mine.

Latest posts