Promises, Promises

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a good rain early this morning, but the wind has been blowing so strong that you can't even tell......ground is very dry here. It's humid!

They were on top of things last week too. Had rain in the forecast for Friday and Saturday, then they took it out, put it back in for Friday. Then Saturday morning about 3 AM, it rained anywhere from 2 - 4 inches along a line from Somerville, Snook, Smetana. We didn't get enough to drip off the roof.

Jogee, I was going to ask you to draw the circle and spit for me since my spitter must be broken. :p

1982vett":1hoyvtky said:
They were on top of things last week too. Had rain in the forecast for Friday and Saturday, then they took it out, put it back in for Friday. Then Saturday morning about 3 AM, it rained anywhere from 2 - 4 inches along a line from Somerville, Snook, Smetana. We didn't get enough to drip off the roof.

Jogee, I was going to ask you to draw the circle and spit for me since my spitter must be broken. :p

I'll be glad to! Will even do one better than that. I'll pick up a plug of Bull of the Woods and cut me off a big hank of it and when I get the fuzzy feeling in my head I'll spit right in the sun's eye. Man it hates it when you do that and you'll get plenty of rain. :nod: Get your mud boots ready.

Hey vett, ya know they update that weather all day long for a reason . Not trying to hijack the tread but do you reckon they can predict the weather any better than they could 40 years ago ?

Larry

I think they can, especially with the doppler radar. Prior to its widespread use I spent a day in a weather room and was amazed at the math they cranked out to try and predict what was going to happen. So many variables it was mind boggling. Though further back than 40, Richard Byrd's book Alone - his story about his year in Antartica - is a revealing book and leaves you with the question was he a hero or one of the first inside traders.

You're probably right Jogee, they probably can predict the weather better, but I think I complain about the wetherman just as much as my Grandpa did :lol2: .

Larry

larryshoat":1y6m8uih said:
You're probably right Jogee, they probably can predict the weather better, but I think I complain about the wetherman just as much as my Grandpa did :lol2: .

Larry

:lol2: :lol2: Have you ever heard the old saying that its never a good time to farm?

Edit - I do think that Vette needs the CattleBoard's Golden Raindrop Award cause to my knowledge I think he has had the worst time with the drought of anyone. And I thought I had it tough the last two years.

We postponed donkey beauty day because it looked so stormy but didn't get a drop. I think that today was the day it is supposed to start. It's raining out now. I'm tired of the danged wind. Bad hair day! Bad hair day! :help:

Things must have looked pretty bad to have cancelled an event such as this. I hope the children aren't traumatized much. I expect pictures next year.

grannysoo":33ex8szz said:
Jogeephus":33ex8szz said:
If you don't want it send it our way. We are getting dry after the flood.

Amazing how quickly all that water here vanished!

Ain't that the truth. I hope we are not headed for another drought. Based on the multitude of mosquitoes maybe not.

larryshoat":3u5avxay said:
Hey vett, ya know they update that weather all day long for a reason . Not trying to hijack the tread but do you reckon they can predict the weather any better than they could 40 years ago ? Larry

Sorry I wasn't around to participate in the discussion. My lights went out early last night.

I think my Texas Sagebrush has a better prediction rate than the local weatherguessers. I am beginning to question also. It missed the big rain we had week before last. Can't tell anything by the crawfish holes, I guess the crawfish all moved back to Lousiana, haven't seen a hole in almost a year.

As far as predicting, I'll still have to say no, they just have better tools to monitor it. The severe weather watch/warnings from NOAH do go out before they hit but the locals don't wake up till it is all over.

Even the hurricane trackers keep shifting landfall until one makes landfall.

Jogeephus":k8o0kbwn said:
larryshoat":k8o0kbwn said:

Larry

:lol2: :lol2: Have you ever heard the old saying that its never a good time to farm?

Edit - I do think that Vette needs the CattleBoard's Golden Raindrop Award cause to my knowledge I think he has had the worst time with the drought of anyone. And I thought I had it tough the last two years.

Thanks for the award. I still have to maintain that a lot of folks are still worse off for rain than I. I just have to whine about it more because so many times I can see it and smell it and watch it fizzel out as it gets near. Even the last that went thru I was beaming that we got 2.8 inches. Everyone else around got 4-5. Not that it matters because about 3-4 of theirs went down the creeks. Ours didn't send any to the creeks till the last 3/4 inch.

I do have a theory of how to get it to rain again. Get rid of the 4x4 truck I bought in 05 because I got tired of getting hung up in wet pastures or got back to work. Construction, working outside most of the time. However I don't think that would have as big of an impact as it did in the days I was living paycheck to paycheck. ;-) It has to be caused by getting the 4x4 truck. :lol:

I can't complain anymore. We had 5" last weekend and it has rained small amounts three days this week. Looks like we may get a little more this week. Keep in mind this was the first rain since February, 2008. My stock ponds are all full from last week's rain. Thank goodness. Now I don't have to haul water anymore for a few months. For the first time since last year my cows aren't coming up to the barn wanting a cow cocaine (cube) fix. They are perfectly happy munching on the fresh, tender grass. Now I'm gonna pi$$ em off really good when I shut them out of my hay meadows. :D

they say we are in for 4 or 5 days of rain in north east texas.an its raining here some now.

At 6 a.m. I had almost 1 inch at the house and 3 1/2 inches down at the pastures (20 mile difference).

It has been drizzling most of the day.

Do you think they will lift the burn ban long enough for me to get those brush piles up in smoke?

backhoeboogie":38gl8mga said:
At 6 a.m. I had almost 1 inch at the house and 3 1/2 inches down at the pastures (20 mile difference).

It has been drizzling most of the day.

Do you think they will lift the burn ban long enough for me to get those brush piles up in smoke?

Light em up now and tell em lightning did it. :D

It's raining here right now!!! I can hear thunder! Don't have any idea if we'll get a lot or a little,but any is welcome. :welcome:

Latest posts