Promises, Promises

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1jrmnghh said:
grannysoo":1jrmnghh said:
Jogeephus":1jrmnghh said:
If you don't want it send it our way. We are getting dry after the flood.

Amazing how quickly all that water here vanished!

Ain't that the truth. I hope we are not headed for another drought. Based on the multitude of mosquitoes maybe not.

We're not having the mosquito problem, but how about the gnats and whiteflys? The gnats will tote you off and we have so many whiteflys swarming that it looks like snow. Never seen it this bad. If this is any indication of the summer to come, I'll be looking for frogs and locusts next...

Haven't seen a mosquito in about a year and I think the flies are grounded by the high winds. :D They are not as bad as they could be.

1982vett":2cidhka6 said:
backhoeboogie":2cidhka6 said:
At 6 a.m. I had almost 1 inch at the house and 3 1/2 inches down at the pastures (20 mile difference).

It has been drizzling most of the day.

Do you think they will lift the burn ban long enough for me to get those brush piles up in smoke?

Light em up now and tell em lightning did it. :D

I might get away with that on just one pile.

Day 1 - It's been messing around for about 4 hours. 2/10ths so far. :clap: Might be a little more on the way.

1982vett":1i3edlwp said:
Day 1 - It's been messing around for about 4 hours. 2/10ths so far. :clap: Might be a little more on the way.

Probably cause the store was out of Bull of the Woods. Said they'd have some in the morning.

I'm very gratefull to report that we've had about 2" between Thursday and Saturday and the ground is very wet. It will be the first time in years that I'll be able to put winter oats in in wet ground. Unfortunately it doesn't rain grass, but if we could get some more moisture in the next week or so it might just start raining grass.

Rains like that give you a new sense of hope. We have had a few more showers early this morning before daybreak. If it keeps up for 10 days as the forecast said we could hit a total of 2 - 3 inches. :)

1982vett":1um2hgia said:
Rains like that give you a new sense of hope. We have had a few more showers early this morning before daybreak. If it keeps up for 10 days as the forecast said we could hit a total of 2 - 3 inches. :)

'82, I was wondering last night if you were getting of this rain. I'm about an hour and a half from you and received about 9 inches of rain. Boats were out, down the road, getting people out of their submerged cars.

Sun is trying to pop out now. Depending on which gage, since it started yesterday around 2 PM, 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

We managed another 1.6" here yestiddy, real nice and slow, but it was real spotty. About 8 or 10 miles east of me they got over 3".

How about this morning Cal? Or is it North and east of you today. :( That is the way it has been for us the past year. The big rains are still that way but at least we are getting some.

I'm damp enough. Love the rain but a week of it gets you down. My perfect world would consist of one inch of rain on Wednesdays between the hours of nine and one in the afternoon. Anyone out here getting that, let me know because I am going to move there if you are!

Lammie":15z8t3vl said:
I'm damp enough. Love the rain but a week of it gets you down. My perfect world would consist of one inch of rain on Wednesdays between the hours of nine and one in the afternoon. Anyone out here getting that, let me know because I am going to move there if you are!

If you don't ask, you'll never get it. But you do ask a lot. :lol:

Going to say, you could move here and get an inch of rain over a 72 hour period (maybe) and not be bothered by it again for several weeks (or months). If you settled outside a 4 mile radius you need to change the numbers to 4-5 inches in a 1-6 hour period several times a month. But be prepaired for that to change too. Or you could be neighbors to Caustic and get a couple inches every few days. :p Seems like Bigbull gets plenty too, could be another option if you are looking for wet feet.

We got three inches of rain this morning. :D Monday night we watched the radar as it all went north of us. This will green everything up and with the ground heating up..... The calves are about four months old now and the cows are starting to show some rib. They won't get fat until we wean, but maybe they'll stop dropping condition now.

1982vett":ni6q8f5i said:
Going to say, you could move here and get an inch of rain over a 72 hour period (maybe) and not be bothered by it again for several weeks (or months). If you settled outside a 4 mile radius you need to change the numbers to 4-5 inches in a 1-6 hour period several times a month. But be prepaired for that to change too. Or you could be neighbors to Caustic and get a couple inches every few days. :p Seems like Bigbull gets plenty too, could be another option if you are looking for wet feet.

Don't want anything complicated, just want it to rain on schedule!

Yep Frankie, with the rains we have been getting and fewer head of cows along with some warmer nights, the pastures are starting to gain on the cows enought that I am starting to close of pastures. Should be able to cut one 10 acre plot for hay in a week or so when this weather pattern changes back to hot and dry. Haven't had to feed hay in about 4 weeks and the cows are gaining condition quickly, even the ones with 4-5 month old calves. Calves are growing like weeds. :clap:

Latest posts