prolapsing

Help Support CattleToday:

iwannaknow53

Reaction score
I have had a rude awakening this weekend. Found one of my F1's with a uterine and vaginal prolapse (according to the vet). She was heavy bred and this would have been her third calf. Had her sewed up at the vet and was advised to cull her so she's gone. While loading her up (she was a gentle one) I decided to sell an open cow. One of my high spirited Brahmer influenced gals got in with her and got aggitated. She tried to jump the coral gate while i was letting her out and busted her chest on the gate. She too is heavy bred. This evening she didn't come up when I fed the girls so I went looking for her. She also has a prolapse! Could the trauma have caused the prolapse? I'm thinking so (but I am doubting all of my moves now) but I can't figure out the first one and now I have two. Vet said I need to look at my mineral program. I feed them (31 girls and a good herford bull) 20% fortified cubes every other day, they have QLX on demand, free minerals in two different covered troughs, a molasis based mineral lick tub and and a protein tub fortified with minerals too. I hav'nt hayed them for two years, but have plenty of rye grass and high left over forage on 170 acres. They are not fat/overwieght, just slick body condition 3+ Poo pies look just like summer pies as well. Are the prolapses just coinsidence/ bad luck or a cause on my part (nutritionally)

There are no absolutes.

Most people don't have a good mineral program. So the vet's advice is probably just that, advice from common knowledge. You're feeding loose mineral so rule that one out.

Since you have two cases, my thoughts go to the bull and the calf size. Age of your prolapsing cows etc.

It sounds as tho you need a better sorting system to load cows. Or perhaps I am not understanding how you got the spirited gal in with the original. Other than that it sounds as tho you're checking the right things. You're going further than I normally go on nutrition. Loose mineral and hay pretty much does it for me. Occasionally cubes to keep them coming to the pens.

I've got an 12 year old cow that I have to take to the vet in the AM to see a vaginal prolapse. She didn't come up the last two days but she shouldn't calve for a month so I wasn't worried then this afternoon I decided to check on her and found her prolapsed.

Third one in six years, Running between 25-30 moms. Seems high to me. Vets just say it's because they are Brama influence

tdc_cattle":zats5l1i said:
Vets just say it's because they are Brama influence
Vets told us when we recently had a cow sewn up after a prolapse that it occurs quite often in Herefords. We raise Herefords and this is the first one in almost 10 years.

We run a mixed breed herd, mostly angus and angus x, some herefords, some reg red polls, some charolais and char x. Have had one rectal prolapse in 20 years. See vaginal prolapses on some of the dairies, but not many, and I see an avg of 2000 cows a month with milk testing. See more DA's on the dairies than anything else.
We calve out 150 plus beef cows a year. That said, we will probably have a run on problems now that I said anything....

MRRherefords":3qug3cr7 said:
tdc_cattle":3qug3cr7 said:
Vets just say it's because they are Brama influence
Vets told us when we recently had a cow sewn up after a prolapse that it occurs quite often in Herefords. We raise Herefords and this is the first one in almost 10 years.

Herefords and more interestingly Hereford X Angus seem to do it the most around here. I've noticed vaginal prolapses seem to be hereditary, at least in our herd. Needless to say we filled up our trailer once that was figured out! Like an above poster said, there are no absolutes. So many variables go into it!

One of the problems is people get too attached to these 4-leggers and keep them even after a prolapse of any kind. Cull ruthlessly and you won't have much incidence of it at all, in any breed.

vaginal prolapse is highly hereditary in my experience.. I've had some families of cows that routinely have had it, and others that absolutely NEVER have it.. you can guess which ones I like and try to propagate.

Exercise DOES help them.. try and make them walk a 1/4 mile or more to water when they're heavy bred.. it evidently isn't a cure, but it'll mitigate the problems

Latest posts