Prolapsed Vagina

Help Support CattleToday:

ploughman

Reaction score
Its calving time and I saw the prolaps for the first time this morning... slightly bigger than a grapefruit and her hind end is a little dirty...is there a chance that she will still be able to calv on her own? She is acting normal, eating, etc. She is a 5+ year old Charolais bread by a Sante Bull. This will be the third calf she's had since i owned her, the first two were no problem.

Does it go back in when she walks aorund for a while or does it stay out all the time? If it goes back in she can probably calve without problems, if it styas out it needs to be put backin and her vagina stinched. When she starts to calve you'll need to cut the stitch so she can calve ok and she probably won;t have a problem calving. Butshe may prolapse again after she calves.

dun":2jiqk9a6 said:
Does it go back in when she walks aorund for a while or does it stay out all the time? If it goes back in she can probably calve without problems, if it styas out it needs to be put backin and her vagina stinched. When she starts to calve you'll need to cut the stitch so she can calve ok and she probably won;t have a problem calving. Butshe may prolapse again after she calves.

I would also cull the cow to just my opinion.

If it won't stay in like dun says, it will need to have a purse string put in to keep it in.
The vet can give you a possible time frame in which she will calve so you can untie the string.
After she calves and raises the calf send her down the road, it will just get worse if you keep her.

Thank you all so much for the helpful info. The vet is saying the same thing. She will be out to the pasture this evening to see what can be done. Again, I really appreciate your help.

I had one last spring that I'd sown up. I knew when she was due so I had the vet induce her so I didn't have to worry about her ripping herself apart if she calved before I saw to cut the string. The vet said they go numb back there right after calving so as soon as she dropped the calf, I spun her around into the squeeze chute and stitched her back up leaving a little more space for the afterbirth to still get out. In the morning I still had to unwrap the afterbirth a little, but all was well.

Shipped her after she weaned her calf.

We had one a few weeks ago (Jan 22). Vet said that she was quite a ways off...more than a month, so I waited on word from the guy that I bought her from to see which bull she was bred to (AI or natural). Her vulva swelled up a bit from the stitching, so we gave her some Antibiotics to get the swelling down. Well, last Saturday, she had a head sticking out so we had to get that string cut ASAP. Calf was early enough that it still didnt have any hair. Now, her vulva is swollen again, and we are just waiting for the withdrawl period to pass so we can send her to town.
I would sew her up and sell her for kill.

Thanks for all the help! The vet was out, we stitched her up and she looks like she could be a few weeks before calving. (I hope). The vets advise is the same as what I've been hearing here on the boards and on other articles I found in the search. Sell her asap, she will probably prolaps everthing when she does calv and now that I've seen it done I feel confident that I can stitch her up. Although the epidural did make it kind of smooth. Maybe she'll hold it in if there's enough time for healing???

Thanks again folks! This is the first time I've used the boards, heck its the first time I've ever seen a forum. I don't know about the other Forums out there but this one has sure helped me! I had my wife reading your replies while I was out on the pastrue all day.

Time to salvage whats left of Valentines day.

I'll be see'n you!

If you have several cows it is worth buying a needle and string and as you said you can sew them up. One vet call cost more than a lifetime of string. As you said though the epidural does make it easy but you can do it without it.

If anyone wanta me to post some digusting pictures of a vaginal prolapse let me know. I have several fresh ones taken today

Well she prolapsed again last night or this morning. The vets stitches held but there weren't enough to hold it all in. I had to add a coupld of extra down the vulva. It took until evening to get her in the pen and I had to stitch her up a little tighter than the vet. I hope it holds this time! Anyone had experience with the prolaps being out for long enough to get hard, brown and rough like rope? The vet said she should be able to calf but that everything will probably come out when she does. The question is: @ what point does it become necessary to put her down?

dun":2rv4yfnh said:
If anyone wanta me to post some digusting pictures of a vaginal prolapse let me know. I have several fresh ones taken today

Put 'em up!! I think they should be put out there and added to the list of other educational photos. Seriously.

Katherine

ploughman":jai6qt0a said:
Well she prolapsed again last night or this morning. The vets stitches held but there weren't enough to hold it all in. I had to add a coupld of extra down the vulva. It took until evening to get her in the pen and I had to stitch her up a little tighter than the vet. I hope it holds this time! Anyone had experience with the prolaps being out for long enough to get hard, brown and rough like rope? The vet said she should be able to calf but that everything will probably come out when she does. The question is: @ what point does it become necessary to put her down?

We've had to make a dimilar decision and the final option is to salebarn her as a kill cow.

ploughman, how did he stitch her. If done correctly it should draw up and you should only be able to put 3 fingers inside the vulva.
Dun, do you use anything to shrink the prolaps, take the fluid out, when you put it back in?

kenny thomas":n1y8ok00 said:
ploughman, how did he stitch her. If done correctly it should draw up and you should only be able to put 3 fingers inside the vulva.
Dun, do you use anything to shrink the prolaps, take the fluid out, when you put it back in?

For vaginal just wash it good, lift it so she can pee then put it back in. Getting that pee out of them seems to really make a difference, makes more room for it to go back in.

Dun, I was trying to get a discussion started on all the things old timers use. Have used sugar, both white and brown, and have seen some use alum but I don't like it. I will cull all anyway but alum sure makes it look bad.

kenny thomas":371jpr2r said:
Dun, I was trying to get a discussion started on all the things old timers use. Have used sugar, both white and brown, and have seen some use alum but I don't like it. I will cull all anyway but alum sure makes it look bad.

The vaginal ones aren;t all that bad. Uterine are awfull. With those, sugar and a old style large glass coke bottle works wonders.

kenny thomas":22zr8aej said:
i agree the vaginal usually are ok. Explain the coke bottle. Had not seen that. I can imagine but explain please.
It gives you a longer arm to push everything back into place. Stitch them up with it inside an a week or so later pull the stitch and the bottle. I think it also adds a little weight to hold things over the brim of the pelvis better.

Latest posts