Prolapsed Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure how to take that...
I'm still laughing!!! Okay, let's just say, had I been a heifer, I would have either taken a trailer ride or kept as a family pet because of my sparkling personality. But I'm also not a big eater. Lucky for me, I never really packed on those lactation pounds that would have been useless anyway (subsequently starving a child). And the world heaved a collective sigh of relief.

I'm still laughing!!! Okay, let's just say, had I been a heifer, I would have either taken a trailer ride or kept as a family pet because of my sparkling personality. But I'm also not a big eater. Lucky for me, I never really packed on those lactation pounds that would have been useless anyway (subsequently starving a child). And the world heaved a collective sigh of relief.
I don't know why I'm laughing. Probly because it wasn't an expected response!

Freemartin?

The one that we had the vet put the pins in was a few weeks from calving. After she calved we pulled the pins like the doctor ordered. A short time later she prolapsed. We put her back together. Repeat. Then she prolapsed her bladder. Called the vet for that one. The vets advice was to take her to the sale. But she had just received a blast of LA300. So there was a 21 day hold on her. We figured if she lived for 21 days she might make it to the August slaughter date. Had she prolapsed again she would have got a bullet and a one way trip to the bone yard. But she made it. Raised the biggest calf in the herd which is a good thing with all the expense against her. The first prolapse you could see the scars where she had been sewed up the previous year. Kind of tough to spot those while she was milling in the ring with 3 other cows.

I don't know why I'm laughing. Probly because it wasn't an expected response!

Freemartin?
Yes a Free Martin. Hahahahahaha. We just shipped a big fat round 4 year old a month ago. As big as a bull. Those freemartins are usually really really good avoiding the corral and loading chute.
Which means TCRanch probably is really good avoiding those too, with that Sparkeling Personality. Hahahahahahaha
P.S.: I'm trying to be funny, just so no one takes the jab at TCRanch seriously.
P.S.S.: Freemartins and corral avoiders is true though.

Some back story - 8 year old Hereford heifer (yes she was never bred, she's a pet). She's not mine but a client of mine that I ranch sit for. She has had a continuing prolapse for over a year now. She has been to UC Davis 4 or 5 times and they have stitched up her vulva to a small opening. However, she still prolapses… prolapse gets pushed in morning and evening to allow her to urinate, and the cervix is put back into place as that prolapses as well. Again… not my heifer…. I know what I would do if it were mine… lol. Are there any real fixes for a prolapse like this? I can tell you one thing - I have learned a lot about the reproductive system from pushing in her prolapse when they need me to…
So it's been a week...

Any decisions or better yet results?

Oh, I thought it was her cervix that was getting pushed out. Have they figured out why whatever-it-is, is herniating?
Spaying a heifer is usually just removal of the ovaries.

Vaginal prolapses in open heifers are a genetic problem. Obesity also contributes. The muscles and ligaments that normally hold everything in place are too weak. Even if you removed her uterus and cervix, the vagina itself would still prolapse.

Spaying a heifer is usually just removal of the ovaries.

Vaginal prolapses in open heifers are a genetic problem. Obesity also contributes. The muscles and ligaments that normally hold everything in place are too weak. Even if you removed her uterus and cervix, the vagina itself would still prolapse.
She needs to do some kegel exercises...

Lol you guys are funny! Yes I really don't think there is an answer to this problem because she just continues to prolapse. The owners are willing and able to continue to push it in morning and night I guess…

I wonder if a cattle prod exercising tool would help. LOLOL You know, electric therapy.
Mr TC's Cardiologist suggested cardioversion for his a-fib years ago. Problem is, you have to schedule in advance in Wichita, which is an hour away, and have to be IN a-fib at the time. I promptly volunteered to zap him a few times with the hot shot, cuz I could do that on a moment's notice, essentially anytime, anywhere. My generous suggestion was declined. Da hell? It could have been a win-win!

Mr TC's Cardiologist suggested cardioversion for his a-fib years ago. Problem is, you have to schedule in advance in Wichita, which is an hour away, and have to be IN a-fib at the time. I promptly volunteered to zap him a few times with the hot shot, cuz I could do that on a moment's notice, essentially anytime, anywhere. My generous suggestion was declined. Da hell? It could have been a win-win!
No ablation suggested by the docs?

Latest posts