prolapsed cervix

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

In Dec. I purchased four heavy bred brangus cows. Two have already had calves with no problem but my third cow had "her cervix kicked out" according to a vet who came out and pushed it back in. He also put in four stitches to hold it in and told me to watch her. I am supposed to cut the stitches as soon as she starts to have the calf. Does this sound right and can anyone explain to me what exactly happened? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Russell.

[email protected]

Ok, she had a vaginal prolapse. Your vet obviously used different terminology, perhaps to describe the degree of prolapse (ie the cervix was visible). This can be genetic, and will often recurr. Personally, I'd cull her and any offspring for this trait. If you don't get the sutures out before she calves, she'll either rip her vulva to shreds or have a dead calf....so watch her closely! Good Luck! V

> In Dec. I purchased four heavy
> bred brangus cows. Two have
> already had calves with no problem
> but my third cow had "her
> cervix kicked out" according
> to a vet who came out and pushed
> it back in. He also put in four
> stitches to hold it in and told me
> to watch her. I am supposed to cut
> the stitches as soon as she starts
> to have the calf. Does this sound
> right and can anyone explain to me
> what exactly happened? Any other
> advise would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you Russell.

> Ok, she had a vaginal prolapse.
> Your vet obviously used different
> terminology, perhaps to describe
> the degree of prolapse (ie the
> cervix was visible). This can be
> genetic, and will often recurr.
> Personally, I'd cull her and any
> offspring for this trait. If you
> don't get the sutures out before
> she calves, she'll either rip her
> vulva to shreds or have a dead
> calf....so watch her closely! Good
> Luck! V

V I would like to thank you for your rapid reply. Monday she began to start showing slime in the afternoon and we cut out the stitches. About 10pm monday night she did calf a healthy large (65-70lbs) bull calf. Being a bull calf we have already planned to wait 6-8months and sell them both. Thank you again for your help.

[email protected]

I'm glad your cow calved okay, we had a p-hereford last year that had this problem. She prolasped for 3 months prior to calving. After the vet tried different methods, he ended up stitching her up also. She ended up having a C-section her vagina was so messed up, she would not dialate. She recovered.We kept her for six months and used her for beef on the table. Which is also where her bull calf will wind up. But that's about all there good for when this happens I guess.

[email protected]

I just had a cow calve all by herself and with no problem, though about two weeks before calving, I could see the uterus whenever she would lay down. My folks have had one or two cows prolapse while calving and on one of them, the vet put a pop bottle in before he sutured her back together. My mom thinks that cow carried the bottle with her to her grave, we never found it in the field, she says. When I asked the vet about my cow, he told me she may or may not have problems with her uterus... as I said before, no problem, THIS time.

[email protected]

The reason the vet put a pop bottle in the cow with a prolapsed uterus was to straighten out the horns of the uterus and make sure they are in the proper position. He of course didn't leave it in the cow.

I don't know when he took it out, but I figured if nothing else, it came out about the time she calved next. Mom was working at the time and wasn't always around when the vet would come or when Dad would do some vetting on his own. I like to know the reason of the bottle... makes sense to me, but NOW the question is: what are they using now that all the pop bottles are PLASTIC???!?

[email protected]

Latest posts