PROLAPSE

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
got a 10 yr old cow to calve anyday and she prolapsed so i took her to the vet and she put it back n and stitched her up.left her at the vets so she can b observed more regularly.she had her calf last year and no problem and we have 2 of her heifers that have had no trouble so i kinda think she is just wearing out.hopefully we get a calf out of her and she can wean it and then we cull her.i know this condition can be hereditary so may think about selling her daughters also.just wanted to c what you all think and if u hav had this happen.

I would definitely cull her, after she has raised the calves. As for her daughters, if they are in the herd and there is no other reason to cull them, I would just leave them be. If they give you problems down the road then cull them. If not, at least you are dealing with a known commodity, never know, what you replace them with could be worse than what you have.....

Ship the cow when it's time, keep the heifers. This is my particular thoughts on the heritability of prolapse. If a cow prolapses her genes are diluted by half in her daughters. Over the years we've only had 3 prolapses. One was an 800 pound heifer that we pulled a 115 pound charolais calf out of. A couple o hours later she dumped her uterus. Natcherly it was 100 plus, 50 mph winds with blowing sand. Got it back in and she died the next day. The other was a Hereford heifer, on her second calf. Neither of her 2 daughters prolapsed in 5 and 6 years that we had them. They both came up open and left. The other was the first heifer claf that Granny ever had for us. On her 7th calf she prolapsed, but her 2 daughters haven;t yet.
So I don;t worry about it till it happens

thanx 4 the advice.do u think i should go ahead and have the vet induce labor? that way someone can sure b there to cut the stitches when its time,as long as she dont start b4 then.from what i have heard it is pretty much 48 hrs after u induce until they calve.

piedmontese":1dpgp5ip said:
thanx 4 the advice.do u think i should go ahead and have the vet induce labor? that way someone can sure b there to cut the stitches when its time,as long as she dont start b4 then.from what i have heard it is pretty much 48 hrs after u induce until they calve.
I would have her induced on friday if she hasn;t calved by then. That way you can be around all weekend if needed to clip the string

piedmontese":3kai5zwq said:

That depends on how ecrtain you are of the breeding date. If you induce within two weeks of her due date the success rate is high and a live calf is the norm, if outside that two week window its anyone's guess.

piedmontese":1dud4obp said:

This is what I did. Then I shipped her after she raised that calf.

angus9259":htbpeohp said:
piedmontese":htbpeohp said:

i called the vet this morning and told her 2 induce labor so we should hav a calf by thursday or sooner.i had left the cow at the vet so this should b the easiest and best way.

piedmontese":2vztm1ns said:
angus9259":2vztm1ns said:
piedmontese":2vztm1ns said:

i called the vet this morning and told her 2 induce labor so we should hav a calf by thursday or sooner.i had left the cow at the vet so this should b the easiest and best way.
Even better to have the vet take care of it all

well the cow never dialated so the vet did a c-section.bull calf and she said that calf and cow r fine.

got a call from the vet this morning,dead cow.calf is doing real good and he weighed 81lbs.now i got a frickin bottle calf.

Latest posts