prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Frist and formost ,I do not give a rats a$$ what ya'll think..It is nice to know how quick some are to judge.

Second , at the sale barn I told the guys that unloaded and taged her why I was selling her..That she had prolapsed .

I did not stay for the sale, so I do not know if ,or what was said..

And I would have kept her, and calfed her fat but, But since I am adding several heifers to the herd I need to cull them 2 and about 2 more as soon as it dried out..

Last , If you want a good animal , buy it off the farm, pay a fair price, get a return agreement...I feel for no one who goes to the sale barn weekly just so they can try to purchase cattle ( as have been said on this site) A STEAL.

She was preg. check and was with calf, she also was as fat as a killing hog 1450 lbs, and would have brought 52 to 55 cents a pound. I would have made about the same money either way.. No greed involved..

IF YOU BUY CATTLE AT A SALE BARN, BUYER BEWARE....

Well the problem here is that I did not state all the facts ,when I frist posted.. That is why "I" said people were quick to judge, was my falut for not gettin every thing said correctly..

To Dun:

When there is a drought, say in Texas killers and cows , and even calf price seam to bottom out (bring very little, go down), yet My prices ( different regions) seam to not be affected.?? What do you bet ,there are people taking advantage of this drought??

Just as buyer take advantage of anytime Real or precieved WRONG with cattle...
OF A ANIMAL WITH A LIMP
OF A OFF COLOR ANIMAL
SMALLER SIZE
HORNS
HORNS BLEEDING BECAUSE OF SHIPPING/HANDLING all will get you docked---Why because they can...And probly a 100 other things

alftn":vgx6qigc said:
To Dun:

When there is a drought, say in Texas killers and cows , and even calf price seam to bottom out (bring very little, go down), yet My prices ( different regions) seam to not be affected.?? What do you bet ,there are people taking advantage of this drought??

I aint Dun but I have lived it. Been on both sides. This is nothing but your typical supply and demand. The next year, cattle suitable for this climate are sky high as people are trying to rebuild their herds. People who dumped for half price are now paying double. Not a good position to be in.

Anything that uterine prolapses gets one way ticket as a kill cow. We leave the purse string in and buyers know what happened.
We also watch anyone that starts a vaginal or rectal prolapse. That is normally a warning there will be trouble later.
Had a vet years ago put in a prolapse kit, didn't hold for 24 hours. Next vet purse stringed her.

I luv herfrds":3sguw4lc said:
Anything that uterine prolapses gets one way ticket as a kill cow. We leave the purse string in and buyers know what happened.
We also watch anyone that starts a vaginal or rectal prolapse. That is normally a warning there will be trouble later.
Had a vet years ago put in a prolapse kit, didn't hold for 24 hours. Next vet purse stringed her.

A uterine prolapse is not hereditary, and if put in back properly will not need to be stitched. The chances of the cow raising her calf and rebreeding are actually quite high if you can reattach the horns and place the uterus back in place.

Vaginal prolapse does require a purse string or a stitch of some kind and the cow should be culled after it has raised it's calf also the calve/s should become terminal.

alftn":2eur0qnf said:
As I post about this time last year ,had a cow about 7 montns along , she had a vaginal . Very cold Feb. day ,I got it back in, hands about froze..She had a very nice bull calf and that was that, no other problems....

Well checked cows other day, did my count, one short came over the hill and sure enought , the same cow about 7 mo. along and prolaps again.. I got some grain and lead her into the corral, and got her into the head gate.. worked on her for about a hour, with no luck,and was dead tired.. One of my friends son passed by , I flag him down and then the two of use got it back in in about 10 mins. Very new experince for him , I loaded her up the next day and took her to the sale barn, she brought about 840$ as a breed cow...

I feel bad about passing problems on to other people, then again I am sure the people that bought the preg. cows I sold in the 07 drought for 500 to 550 apice did not give it a thought about the cheap cows they bought...or my losses

Beware of sale barn cattle , most have been culled for a reason , some bad some not so bad...

i can not wrap my head around this. Why would someone sell an animal as a bred cow knowing the problem she would have? Why would the seller not sell her as a cull, put a x on her so she would go as a cull. Yes there is buyer beware, however somehow doing what is right....why brag about it....just when i thought i heard it all...

well i think it was uterine prolapse isnt that when they prolapse when they calve......i was wonedering what you do to fix it and if it will happen again

Dixieangus":sx6j7c3z said:
well i think it was uterine prolapse isn't that when they prolapse when they calve......I was wondering what you do to fix it and if it will happen again

The problem with a uterine prolapse is that alot of time the uterus is just amputated, therefore the cow is done. I am assuming this was most likely the case or the calf died and they wrote the cow off. we had a uterine prolapse last year on Valentines day evening. Hubby got it back in and the horns reattached, she raised her calf and an orphan, more than likely most will need a vet out though and most vets give the cow 15 minutes to reattach or they amputate or band the uterus.

I really would not suggest ever buying a prolapsed uterus cow unless you had her vet check and the vet concurred that all was well and the cow was cycling.

I would not hesitate to try and rebreed and calve out my own uterine prolapse cow, but I would never sell one unless she was heavy bred and I fully exposed her history to the buyer. Which is what I do anyways , all buyers of any animals get full health records and history unless the cow is meant to go straight to slaughter and then I just follow withdrawl protocols.

As was said earlier, a uterine prolapse is due to circumstance, like ours . She calved on her own ,cleaned and nursed her calf but laid down in a bad position where she had to strain to get back up, the straining and the fragility of her having just calved caused her to prolapse.

HD we never keep calves out of cows that prolapsed. We did that twice and dang me if BOTH daughters didn't do a uterine prolapse too.
now we have only once had a uterine prolapse amputated. Heifer did it at calving and then did it again out at pasture and sunburned it. Vet came out and said that was the only option.
Normally we spinal block the cow to keep her from straining, clean the prolapse, put it back in and purse string her.

We have lost 2 heifers that prolapsed and tore the main vein inside and bled to death. We know the signs for that so we will just put them down instead of leaving them to suffer.

We don't bother to rebreed them. they are put out to pasture with the steers until weaning time and they hit the trailer as kill cows.

I luv herfrds":2slox7y3 said:
HD we never keep calves out of cows that prolapsed. We did that twice and dang me if BOTH daughters didn't do a uterine prolapse too.
now we have only once had a uterine prolapse amputated. Heifer did it at calving and then did it again out at pasture and sunburned it. Vet came out and said that was the only option.
Normally we spinal block the cow to keep her from straining, clean the prolapse, put it back in and purse string her.

We have lost 2 heifers that prolapsed and tore the main vein inside and bled to death. We know the signs for that so we will just put them down instead of leaving them to suffer.

We don't bother to rebreed them. they are put out to pasture with the steers until weaning time and they hit the trailer as kill cows.

Maybe there are some uterine prolapses that are genetic then. It would be interesting to read some research if there is any, I wonder if it is passed on from the bull as well.
Strange things happen in cattle , we had a heifer that froze a quarter on her udder right before calving , she hit the road (sold her as a milk cow to the neighbors) we kept her heifer calf and if she didn`t do the exact same thing when she calved two years later. She went bye bye as well, she had a bull calf so that was the end of the line for that family. I wonder what the grand dam was like , as we bought the first cow at a dairy sale as a bred heifer.

Red Bull Breeder":2ygwblgp said:
Its buyer beware at the sale barn and you all know it.
thats a fact ive never seen anybody get up during a sale and say hey you folks dont need too buy that old cow she's got a problem that being said i hope too lose my ass on her,,, or how about this,,, shes the best cow i got on the place thats why i brought her here :lol:

alacattleman":jq66ln5c said:
Red Bull Breeder":jq66ln5c said:
thats a fact ive never seen anybody get up during a sale and say hey you folks dont need too buy that old cow she's got a problem that being said i hope too lose my ass on her,,, or how about this,,, shes the best cow i got on the place thats why i brought her here :lol:

Usually its the ring man calling them, "front pasture kind" etc. The ring men are getting wiser on the pairs tho. They used to give the breed of bull the cows have been running with thinking it was a plus. Now they just say, "they've been running with a bull and may be bred back."

backhoeboogie":3450stio said:
alacattleman":3450stio said:
Red Bull Breeder":3450stio said:

Usually its the ring man calling them, "front pasture kind" etc. The ring men are getting wiser on the pairs tho. They used to give the breed of bull the cows have been running with thinking it was a plus. Now they just say, "they've been running with a bull and may be bred back."
like the blind horse a cowboy was selling HE DONT LOOK VERY GOOD,,, are the one that said you can shoot off of... but its the reloading thats hard :p

backhoeboogie":1id6bazp said:
alacattleman":1id6bazp said:
Red Bull Breeder":1id6bazp said:

Boogie....all I hear is "she's been running with a low birth weight black bull". The newbies go to bidding, the old timers say "What the hel"????

TexasBred":3p1pifc1 said:
Boogie....all I hear is "she's been running with a low birth weight black bull". The newbies go to bidding, the old timers say "What the hel"????

Maybe we have been at the same sale barns :D Black means all kinds of things. I assume the worst.

Yes HD a bull can bring it in. Had a cow prolapse and checking her history as far back as our records go there was nothing on the dams side. Now we had no papers or info on this bull, but I am 100% he brought it in.
It was a bull we bought from the cousin. Found out that the heifers he has been selling to a neighbor have been prolapsing their first year. We don't buy bulls from him anymore.

Usually, when I have a prolapse, I will stitch her up and take her on in for slaughter. Had a really, nice 4 year old prolapse 3 weeks ago as a springer. She is an oustanding young cow, so I gave her a chance. Yesterday, she was trying to calve and I cut the string and she had a real nice calf and all is well at the moment. I will go ahead and keep her in the herd as a keeper and see if there are any further problems. One that I kept another time, lasted 10 more years. It is possible she may prolapse again any day, so that is a risk. We will see what happens.