Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I have a cow that prolapsed the other day and I was able to to get her all fixed up. She is in the third stage and this is my first encounter with this. What are my chances for a successful delievery?

Depending on how she was stiched, if you aren't there to cut the stiches she may be able to deliver, but it will tear the crap out of her. Best bet is to attend her fiarly close when she starts to get close and cut the stiches when we goes into active labor. If you cut the stiches she shoudl be able to deliver without too much problem unless she starts to prolapse as she is calving. Then she'll need help. Something to consider is that after the calf is born to watch it very closely for signs of scepticemia (blood poisoning) and threat it aggresively if you see any symptoms. Obviously, this girl needs to grow wheels and be sent to the killer pens rather then the regular cattle pens.

dun

Rod":32ujeevx said:
I have a cow that prolapsed the other day and I was able to to get her all fixed up. She is in the third stage and this is my first encounter with this. What are my chances for a successful delievery?

The last time I had to deal with this is over 20 years ago so it's a little foggy. The plan was to try and time it so we did a c-section before the cow went into labor. We were 3 weeks early and it didn't go well. Dead calf, cow ended up in the freezer.

Thanks for the advice on the potential calve problem dun. My vet said the stitches would dissolve in about 21 days and i hope she'll wait longer than that to calve. I watch her close and will cull her win, lose or draw on the calving situation.

The heifer that was born to the prolapsed cow is due to calve this week. She had scepticemia, that's why I mentioned it. No signs of prolapse or any other problem with this heifer. The cow was stiched with a heavy boot lace type of material and each individual stich had ust a small infection surrounding it. The original cow was a purebred Polled Hereford. Her oldest daughter just calved for the second time, no problems with prolapse or anything else. But she's an F1 Red Angus x Polled hereford, as is the heifer that's getting ready to calve.

dun

Rod":4iynef3q said:
Thanks for the advice on the potential calve problem dun. My vet said the stitches would dissolve in about 21 days and i hope she'll wait longer than that to calve. I watch her close and will cull her win, lose or draw on the calving situation.