Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

used it on nutcase horses in the 60's, never have had need to throw a cow. If they're too big to flank I use a chute or a halter and a tree

dun

ollie":3u8kvsgk said:
Dun ,
Have you ever used a walking W to throw one ? Works real well if the cow is gentle enough to snub her to a tree. Chutes work much better.

It's actually easier in most cases to put it back standing. If you just tie her to a tree, you sometimes have to be pretty fast footed to keep up with her rear as she dances around.

dun

dun":4zf2vcu5 said:
You will need to restrain her. I suppose you can rope her and throw he out in a pasture but a chute is better.

dun

It works good when your trying to pull a calfwhen she wont lay down and you dont want her to set on the calf.

Had a neighbors cow that was dancing so fast that she swung her hiplocked calf free byherself. Should have called the calf superman it flew so far

dun

Ollie":vlyprehh said:
It works good when your trying to pull a calfwhen she wont lay down and you dont want her to set on the calf.

Just remembered something alse about prolapsed cows and calving. Sometimes the swelling of the vagina is so great that even if they aren't prolapsed the calf can have deifficulties getting through the birth canal. Just something else to keep an eye on. Pulling normally doesn't really help. Using you hands to work the calf through the swollen tissue is the only way I've been succesfull without injuring either the calf or the cow.

dun

Whatever happens you better get rid of her after this year, cows that prolapse are prone to prolapsing in the future.

In response to Alina, We put our cow in a boxed stall and got a halter on her( I should say my husband, he don't take no sh** off the animals, scares me at times but he's very productive, I only help out ha ha) My animals will let you pet them, but man-handleing is out. Anywho, then we get a rope on her and tie her to one of the corner post in the stall,where theres a feed box. In the corner you at least have a wall to push them up against. They fight awhile, then we'll put some grain in the feed box. Rub & scratch her back to calm her, working your way to the correct end of the animal and go from there. It takes awhile, to calm them down, and watch for kickers. I know there are easier ways but we don't have a chute either, so this works for us.

Latest posts